Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Hormone production patterns and irregular periods

User Profile
Im 20 years old with a two year old daughter. Me and my partner are trying for a baby i stopp the pill 4 months ago, i then had a withdraw period. my next period came 6 weeks later, but now i am 9 days late! i keep getting crams in my stomach but pregnancy test come back negative. i usually had regular periods. so please can you help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
Menstruation Answer A10057

Given the data you provided (stop taking pill four months ago, having irregular periods, negative pregnancy tests, cramps in stomach), you might be experiencing irregular periods because your body has not restored its own regular hormone production.

Irregular periods are common when the person interferes with the normal hormone production. This happens when hormone-containing pills are started. When you begin taking the pills they completely take charge of the menstrual period. Once you stop the pills, the body is on its own. However, it still needs time (even several months in certain women) to return back to the previous hormone production pattern.

You might want to visit a gynecologist for a physical examination, hormonal laboratory tests and an ultrasound scan to check if there is another cause for the irregular periods. If nothing else is detected, then you might just keep on trying. Your menstrual periods do not have to return to a completely regular state to conceive, but once they are, your conceiving capability would be as it was previously.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.