Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

Hopeful Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery Experience (Page 1)

Hello Hemorrhoid Sufferers,

I am a 39 year old mother of two. I have had off and on issues with hemorrhoids since the labor of my first child ten years ago. For some reason, this year on Mother's Day of all days, my hemorrhoids decided to come back with a vengeance. After recovering from labor they have only been a mild discomfort, with occasional flare-ups. I have used suppositories for the last ten years on and off, and it was not that big of a deal. When they came back on Mother's day they seemed to be prolapsed. Looking for relief from the pinch in the shower I could tuck them in, but within a few minutes they were right back out there saying hello. I dealt with that for weeks, feeling crabby, pinched and wondering if they were ever going to heal. I read somewhere that there are four stages of hemorrhoids. Stage 3 hemorrhoids can be tucked back in and will stay, but stage 4 will fall out again. I had stage 4. I figured that whatever the surgery was like, in the long run it would be worth it because they just weren't going away. I couldn't see facing them for the rest of my life.

I got on the internet and started to research. Of course I found a ton of horror stories. Descriptions of the first poop feeling like razor blades and lemon juice, talk of passing out on the floor of the bathroom, anal leakage, pain worse than childbirth, made me really nervous. Heck, the nurse even told me that many of her patients told her that if they would have known how painful it was going to be they wouldn't have done it. I gave it another week before I just got too fed up with the constant pinch and decided to go ahead with it. My kids were going to be out of school soon, and I wanted to schedule the surgery to give myself at least a week to heal with them out of the house.

I got all ready for the surgery by purchasing plain foods, crackers, canned fruit, chicken broth soups. I even went out and bought a special drain cover for my bathtub since I read that one person pooped in the bath to lessen the pain. I had my mom bring over all of the ice packs she had in her freezer. When I read my prep sheet it said to stop eating only 8 hours before the surgery. The pre-op consultant told me to eat a good meal the night before so that I would have energy for the surgery. I was doubtful that it was a good idea, but I decided to do it anyway.

The Big Day: In the morning I had to take a shower, and complete two enemas. I think that I was pretty well cleared out at that point.
When it came time to change into the hospital gowns to get ready for the surgery I was so scared that I wet my pants a little before taking them off. I have never wet myself out of fear before, and it came as a total surprise. I didn't even feel the urge to go. In fact I had just emptied my bladder minutes before for the mandatory pregnancy test that they do before putting someone under general anesthesia. Embarrassing.

When I went into the room I lay down on the table and they put a mask over my mouth. They told me that they were going to give me some oxygen for a while and to keep taking deep breaths. I don't even remember falling asleep. Within what seemed like seconds I woke up in the recovery room. There was a dull pain in my butt and it was kind of uncomfortable to lay on it. I asked if I could shift to one side. The recovery room nurse got me some hydrocodone and some ibuprofen. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being unbearable pain, I was feeling about 3. Once the medicine started to kick in, I went down to a 2. Really it wasn't much worse than what my hemorrhoids felt like on a bad day.

When my surgeon came in to follow up he said, "Do lots of sitz baths, and eat as you normally would. Start Milk of Magnesia if you haven't had a bm by the third day." Oh well, I am sure that we will eventually find a way to eat the two Costco packages of crackers that I bought the week before.

I went home, slept, ate a lot (mom kept making me good food), drank lots of fluids, took my hydrocodone and my ibuprofen for pain, and colese as a stool softener. I just got in the habit of doing a sitz bath every time I had to urinate. I felt like it was speeding up the healing. Things were not that bad.

Day 2: The next morning I got up and tried to make the kids breakfast. I got dizzy and had to lay down on the floor in the kitchen before I decided to take it easy for the day. Lay around. Felt fine. Lots of sitz baths. I had my hubby buy me some prune juice. I drank that with ice.

Day 3: Had more energy, but was feeling the building of pressure. Let go of some toots. I thought that I had to poop but didn't want to push hard, so I spent a lot of time on the potty waiting. Did lots of sitz baths while I waited. By Friday night I started to get nervous that I was compacting waste in there. I bought Milk of Magnesia and did a dose before bed, sure that I would wake in the night for a tough ride on the potty.

Day 4: Still no poop. Lots of gas. More Milk of Magnesia. This time I felt nausea and threw up. I thought it was the MOM, but looking back, I think that I got a tummy bug. Spent the day sleeping with a tummy ache. A little fresh bleeding from tooting and a stinging sensation from tooting. Pressure was starting to make me more uncomfortable. Still didn't want to strain to push anything out. Very anxious. Called doc on call as it was Saturday. Refilled my pain meds and asked what else I should do about not having a bm. The doc suggested Miralax. I had stopped eating anything more than crackers and drinks at this point for fear of adding anything else to my bowels before things came out the other end. I couldn't believe how many laxatives that I had taken without results.

Day 5: Woke up knowing that today was going to be a poop day. Worried about it being too hard. I asked my husband to run and get me a triple mocha which I planned on dumping miralax into to keep softening action going. As he was out, I felt the urge. I told my daughter to turn on the T.V. and not to worry if she heard noises. I had to sit pretty quickly and did not have to put a lot of effort into pushing. It did hurt, but it wasn't razor blades, and it was quick and bearable. I did feel a little weak and faint at one point but nothing that I couldn't handle. After it came out I feel a lot of sting. It stung so bad that I couldn't even imagine trying to wipe. I went over and knelt in the bathtub. I used the sprayer to spay any loose material down the drain and then I put the plug in and filled it up for another soak. After about 15 minutes I was able to get out, put my clothes back on and walk downstairs to the couch. I lay there for about an hour just trying to recover my energy. It took a lot out of me. After that was done, I felt great.

Day 6: Got a little lax on my meds and did not wake up in the middle of the night to take them. Soreness in the morning made it hard to move around. My son was grumpy and was hard to get out of bed. I didn't have the patience to deal with his grumpy when I was feeling the pain. My husband came down to help and when the meds finally kicked in all was fine. I had the follow-up appointment at the docs this morning. I am still pretty swollen, but I seem to be progressing well. If I feel my anus I can tell that it is still really swollen, and it almost looks or feels like the hemorrhoids are back, but reading various posts I can see that this is normal. I drove myself to the doctors, went grocery shopping afterwards, watered the garden in the afternoon, and put together a decent dinner for the family. I can still tell I am not ready to go jogging again, but I can get around just fine.

Day 7: Had another poo this morning. Took a bath afterwards to clean up. It was sore, but not as painful as the first one. I suspect that it is going to get better every day until I forget that I ever had any problems.

Overall: I am actually enjoying laying around doing not much of anything and experiencing no guilt. I am feeling so much gratitude for the fact that I have good medical care and I actually had the opportunity to get this surgery instead of the prospect of dealing with it for the rest of my life. Many women in developing countries have fistulas from child labor that never get resolved. They live crippling lives because of improper medical care. I feel lucky to have friends and family that are willing to help take care of me and my kids, so that I can heal. I feel really thankful for good pain medicines and all of the modern conveniences like sit-baths, wet wipes, and sanitary pads.
I still don't know if my experience is typical, but I do know that people are more likely to talk about their bad experiences than their good ones. So if you are in pain from hemorrhoids and you want to find relief, don't let all the horror stories stop you.

Two more tips: I did try the use of cold packs placed between my cheeks. I think that it really did help, but in my case the pain wasn't bad enough to warrant the hassle of getting them out, wrapping them in a ziplock and paper towels, etc. If I could have predicted the first poop better I think using an ice pack prior to doing so would have eased the pain in the area. It has a good numbing effect.
The other thing I learned about in my research was a different way of sitting on the potty to prevent hemorrhoids from occurring in the first place. To see a video on the technique go to You Tube and search for "Squatty Potty".
I did find a great foldable stool at Home Depot for $9 that works just as great.

I hope that writing about my experience has helped you make a more informed decision. Good luck and quick healing.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jerzeee
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
Hi. Just wanted to say that it's nice to see a more positive note on what appears to be a rather unpleasant surgery. I've read a lot of 'reviews' and am feeling very (very) nervous about making the decision weather to have a Haemorrhoidectomy or not.. I'm a 45 year mother of two, fit (I exercise 1-3 hours per day) do most things right but a bit like yourself, developed haemorrhoids after my first child 12 years ago. They are grade four, have been injected twice, banded twice and now I pass blood 99% of the time I sit on the potty (regardless of what's going on!). I've never considered surgery due to all the bad press but now I realise how much they affect my life (I seem to be always runny late as end up sitting on the potty for ten minutes trying to staunch the blood!) I think it's about time I out my big girl panties on and dealt with it. Like yourself I have a great support network of family and friends, just need to get the timing right. Thanks for your post. Sharlene.
|
Users who thank Kiwimum45 for this post: susanders 

replied August 24th, 2013
Did you ever get the surgery? If you did, how did it go?
I am fully healed now except that I still have a bit of tissue that sticks out. It is kind of like the deflated rhoid. It does not hurt, just makes wiping a little bit more labor intensive.
I am so glad I went ahead and dealt with it, even if they came back it was worth it just to not have to deal with them for an entire month. No pinching for me! Good luck and thank you for the feedback to my post.
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
Oops try 'put' my big girl panties on lol.
|

replied November 4th, 2013
Hi I'm new to the post. Still trying to figure it out. I had my surgery on 10/10/13. The fitst two days were not to bad. The sitz baths helped. I took colace and milk of magnesia. I didn't have a bm for 4 days. I took a shower snd the urge was intense. I jumped out of the shower snd got my sitz bath ready. It relaxed me enough to have the bm but I did it in the bath. It was horrible and I screamed and shook and broke out in a sweat. It happened twice. I wss on oxycotin for pain and by the 5 th day my bladder stopped working do went to er got a catheter, valium, morphine and a muscle relsxer. The spasm were do bad it took 4 nurses to get the cath in. For 3 days had it in. I screamed and cried for 5 days. They were stage 4 inside snd had 3 external. I'm feeling much better. No pressure analy. Down to 1.5 pa in pills. A little sore still but i made it. If you have them bad do it you won't regret it.
|

replied December 12th, 2013
So how are you doing now...?
And how is it now, a month out from your surgery? I'm dealing with, it sounds like, a much mor minor case. Just had the rubber band on one a few days ago. Thought it had been working, but my friend seemed to pop out an hour or so ago, 2 days later (not sure if this is the same hemorrhoid or another). Maybe it's getting ready to fall off? So, please let us know how you are doing
|

replied December 16th, 2013
I just had my two month check up. Healing nicely. Quicker than my doctor expected. Thank you for asking. I am still having anal spasms but not like after the surgery. It was hell but I'm happy I had it. The doctor told me if I waited 2 more years I would hada ccolostomy bag. I have one very small thrombosed hemi but I don't even feel it. I just started adding more foods back in to my diet like tomato and oranges and juice. Had coffee for the first time Saturday. I was so tired of bland food. I hope it was a hemi ready to fall off. Dont do the surgery unless really necessary. Its life changingbfor me. Hope all is well.
|

replied December 16th, 2013
I just had my two month check up. Healing nicely. Quicker than my doctor expected. Thank you for asking. I am still having anal spasms but not like after the surgery. It was hell but I'm happy I had it. The doctor told me if I waited 2 more years I would hada ccolostomy bag. I have one very small thrombosed hemi but I don't even feel it. I just started adding more foods back in to my diet like tomato and oranges and juice. Had coffee for the first time Saturday. I was so tired of bland food. I hope it was a hemi ready to fall off. Dont do the surgery unless really necessary. Its life changingbfor me. Hope all is well.
|

replied February 2nd, 2014
hemorroidectomy-5 days feel great
I am writing this less than five days after my surgery. I want everyone to STOP reading the nightmares and realize that this is not pleasant but it is not the months long death sentence that is so often painted here.
Here is my story and my advice:
1. DO NOT READ THE HORROR STORIES--I made the mistake of reading some of them the night AFTER I got home from my surgery and it created so much anxiety (here I had already had it done there was no going back) that I think I had a bona fide anxiety attack a few hours later, started crying (the pain was ramping up too) and had to take 2 Percocet. THIS WORKED. Not only within a half an hour was it all gone, anxiety and pain, I actually felt really great. Opioids are good stuff.
DAY 1 & 2 I spent the next 48 hours in and out of pain, in and out of hot baths and showers, ice packs, heating pads (alternating) and mostly worried about going to the bathroom which I was warned I had to do within 48 hours otherwise would have to take greater measures. I DID EVERYTHING I was supposed to: Colace, Citrucel, mineral oil, and lots and lots of water. Yet still, 48 hours later I looked and felt pregnant and felt pressure to go but could not. My doctor told me it was time to take the Magnesium Citrate, which I was ready to do.
6 hours after guzzling the bottle of evil it started working and I spent about three hours partially in relief (going) and more so in agony-the burning and use of the area was incredibly painful but the drugs and hot water got me through and within 12 hours felt less bloated and in less pain. Was not fun at all but necessary.

To give you an idea, I took 2 Percosets every 6-8 hours for 48 hours-14 total. I knew that the less I took the better time I would have with the constipation.
DAY 3 & 4
The next day I felt confident enough to half the dose of the meds. My main concern was not pain but poop. I did NOT want to take that stuff again and figured if I could get the BM's down I was in the clear and could get my life back. By the end of Day 4 my pain had decreased considerably, and as long as I was using the bath/shower therapy at the end of 96 hours post-surgery (4 days exactly) I had taken my last Percocet (I took 19 total of 40 prescribed). I was able to sleep that night for a good stretch and took a 4:30 AM bathtub (slept in there) and back to bed until 7:30 AM on day 5.
DAY 5
I have had 6 BMs today and they are small but not so difficult to pass, just BE PATIENT. I took an Advil this morning (more as a prophylaxis), did laundry, took a shower, blow dried my hair, put a BRA and pants (*yay), talked to people, made my kids breakfast, and am going back to work tomorrow.
CONCLUSION:
I had my two kids with no drugs and I will admit there were moments it felt as bad as labor/birth and I am also a very tough person as far as pain is concerned which cannot hurt, BUT with this scenario THERE ARE DRUGS and you are allowed to take them so DO TAKE them but beware the constipation.

My advice:
1. No matter what the surgeon says-start the fiber, Colace, mineral oil (or whatever they tell you to do) BEFORE the surgery-why play catch up? Get your gut going before the surgery (FYI I see that some patients have had to do a colon prep thing prior, my doctor didn't require this-which is nice the surgery is bad enough without having to do that prior!). My surgeon did not recommend this as a pre-surgery good idea, and I think he should have. Just makes sense.
2. Take the meds as you need to, but take as little as possible to avoid constipation.
3. Hot water is your friend. Use it often..
4. Slept/rested with a heating pad wherever it was comfortable (mostly on my butt or belly), think it really helped
5. Don't be proud-this is humiliating just like child birth-if you have to crap in the shower or tub because that's what feels the best-just DO IT. Bleach was invented for a reason.
6. Be prepared to do NOTHING for a few days-my husband took over everything 100% for 4 days and I holed up in the bedroom and bathroom and got better-do not expect to be of any use to anyone for a few days at least.
7. Get Netflix (not kidding) I signed up for Netflix and watched the entire Breaking Bad series over the 4 days and just carrying my iPad back and forth from the bedroom to the bathroom and having something to watch in the tub actually really helped divert me and give me something to focus on rather than all the pain and discomfort.
I am not all "better" yet and I am sure it will be a few weeks before I see 100% recovery and the benefits of the surgery that were promise me, but if and when that happens its TOTALLY worth it.
I suspect with the horror stories you may read that 1) some people have not had the best surgeons perhaps 2) Maybe they had more stuff removed than me (my doctor immediately recommended surgery as the only real option so it is not like I was not a bad case) 3) Some have low pain thresholds and 4) everybody heals differently.
But take it from a 43 year old Mom who got these horrible hemorrhoids during pregnancy/child birth and dealt with them for 9 years-if day 5 is any testament to the future-this was the ONLY option and I am EXTREMELY HAPPY I DID IT AND DIDN'T READ THE BOARDS PRIOR SINCE I MAY NOT HAVE DONE IT. IF YOUR ROIDS ARE MAKING YOU MISERABLE, THESE FEW DAYS/WEEK ARE WORTH THE RELIEF FROM THAT. Good luck!!
|

replied January 10th, 2015
Hi, I noticed you had the surgery almost a year ago. Mine is scheduled in a month and a half, but I've almost cancelled twice. I've dealt with rhoids since even before my kids were born, but they became much worse during pregnancy and after pushing out two giant kids (have 3 kids total, all 4 and under). I've talked to my parents about watching my kids as I go through this and am expecting a lot of pain, but it would be so nice not to worry about flares in the future. Is it worth it? I'm hoping if I can get to the other side I can just be done with the rhoids. Now that it has been a year, do you still recommend doing it? I tore pretty bad with my two vaginal births and remember lots of pain and aching and painful poops and all that afterwards. How much worse than that is the pain after this surgery? I think I can handle the pain as long as it is worth it afterwards. Most of the message boards have scared me, so sometimes I think yes, I'll definitely do it and sometimes I think I should just leave well enough alone (is the cure worse than the disease?). Thanks in advance. Not sure if you still check this board.
|

replied January 13th, 2015
Hi "confused butt".
I got an email that you posted so I am replying! As I approach the year anniversary of my surgery I look back and am SO GRATEFUL that I did it. Indeed it's nothing I EVER want (or would?) do again as it was one of the most difficult weeks of my life for sure. But looking back at the daily discomfort I was in, having anxiety about going to the bathroom and spending more time in there then needed, the uncleanliness, bleeding, and general decrease in my quality of life then-and now being on the "other side"...I would do it again in a NY minute.

Sadly, my butt is not perfect (there are still some skin "tags") and so I am left with a lesser cleanliness issue than before. The doc said he could take care of this in the office but I have not wanted to revisit any butt pain for awhile. BUT my hemorrhoids have not returned and I have no pain, bleeding or any discomfort!!! I am very careful when it comes to any occasional constipation I experience to prevent any relapse since I know they can and do return. If they ever did I would deal with them immediately instead of waiting until they got as bad as they did.

As far as pain-I didn't tear with my births but didn't have epidurals and I can say that the pain level can be similar but it's a different kind of pain--and instead of ten hours of labor it's a good week of it so you get sort of fatigued from it all. I don't want to paint this lovely picture for you-it's not easy--but you are strong--you had three kids and you can do this too-take the meds, get someone to care for your kids so you can rest and take as many hot baths and showers as you need, and get netflix;) If you trust that you have an experienced surgeon (I think some of the horror stories are from people who had hacks for doctors) I say go for it-I could not imagine going back to where I was last year!!
|

replied January 13th, 2015
Not sure if my reply is working, but I'll try again. Thank you so much for replying! This really helps my mindset and I think I'll keep the surgery scheduled (especially because we are only in the states until the summer and then I must return to a small island with poor medical care, would like to get this taken care of here). One last question: How long did it take before you felt normal again, or, at least, before you could resume your normal life? I want to give my parents an estimate of how long I'll be useless. Thanks again!!!
|

replied March 16th, 2015
Hemorrhoid surgery and recovery
I am a 61 year old woman. I had my surgery for 4 external hemorrhoids on February 26, 2015 at a local hospital. I was placed on my stomach and given anesthesia to knock me out. Surgeon used dissolvable sutures. I was released about 3 hours after the surgery began. I am now 2-1/2 weeks post surgery.

WHAT TO GET BEFORE THE SURGERY:

(1) Prescription pain killers: Fill any prescriptions you doctor gives you. Mine gave me two:
- My doctor gave me a pain-killer with 1000 mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol). I filled this right before the surgery and brought it with me. She injected it after the surgery and gave me 2 days of relief.
- Post-surgery she gave me a prescription for oxycodine (codine plus tylenol). It was annoying to have to wait at the pharmacy to have the prescription filled right after surgery.

(2) Over-the counter pain-killers: Tylenol extra strength or regular strength and/or advil-type products (no aspirin)

(3) Stool softeners: stool softner pills and/or mineral oil; milk of magnesia.

(4) Ice packs

(5) For keeping surgical area clean and dry:
- Tucks pads (round cotton pads with witchhazel)
- gauze or other soft cotton pads
- Maximum absorbancy disposable underwear and/or disposable pads (worn in underwear)

(6) BRAT diet foods (bland foods and gingerale for a day or so)

AFTER SURGERY - THE FIRST WEEK

Came home from hospital with ice pack on surgical area and replaced several times the first evening. I took the oxycodine on schedule and found it wore out after about 3 hours; began taking it more frequently (every 2-1/2 to 3 hours) after discussing with my doctor. Continued for about 3 days. These both made the pain manageable. Reduced the oxycodine on about day 4 to about 4 to 5 tablets a day. I was drowsy from the oxycodine and slept a lot, but was able to walk around the house, get myself food, and watch TV in bed. Was a little dizzy. Did not drive for first 3 or 4 days. Drank water and ginger ale and ate apple sauce the first night and didn’t experience nausea. Resumed normal eating (smaller meals, lots of fiber) the following day.

Because of the swelling from the surgery, sitting on the toilet was agonizing and could easily induce tears. For the whole first week, I was more comfortable urinating in a bathtub filled with warm water (squatting, sitting, or lying down) than on the toilet. It took me a long time to get the urine stream going even though I felt I had to “go”. Sometimes I palpitated my stomach or ran a trickle of water in the sink to help. Early on, I was in the tub EVERY time I peed.

Took stool softeners a.m. and p.m. for about 1st week. If no BMs during day, I supplemented with Milk of Magnesia at night. I usually had 2 or 3 BMs a day. First BM was a day or two after surgery. It was even more painful than urinating and agonizing because I was afraid to push. I felt nausea just from having to go. On the advice of my doctor I did BM in the warm bathtub. When I was able to tolerate BMs in the toilet, I hopped into the shower to clean off afterwards. Passed blood, sometimes lots of it, with every BM and sometimes with urine. That is normal. Felt tied to my own bathroom during this period.

Cleaned surgical area after using toilet with water (in shower) or tucks pads, followed by gentle patting with gauze or cotton pads. Folded a dry gauze pad into wound area (butt crack) to absorb extra fluid (moisture in the surgical area can cause stabbing pains). Wore maximum-absorbancy disposable underwear for first week.

THE SECOND WEEK:

At about day 9 I was in discomfort but no longer in pain when using the toilet, so I switched from oxycodine to Tylenol (and stopped the stool softeners). I was able to resume regular driving and some of my normal outside activities. After a few days on Tylenol, I still wasn’t in pain, so I discontinued the Tylenol.

For most of 2nd week I took one or more sitz baths per day. Switched from maximum-absorbency disposable underwear to the pads for the second week, and then stopped the pads toward the end of the 2nd week. No spotting in between BMs by this point. Still passing blood clots in tub and on toilet during this period. Began weening myself from dependency on my own bathroom by end of week 2 (carried Tucks pads and gauze pads with me). Napped a lot during week 2. Continued to drink lots of water. Took first two walks and first yoga class during 2nd week.

THE THIRD WEEK:

Only discomfort now is itching in the surgical area! Drives me crazy but advil doesn’t help. Still fatigued. I would not recommend returning to work until at least 2 full weeks after surgery.
|

replied March 16th, 2015
Just wanted to say I am 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and I feel fantastic. I haven't taken any pain medicine in over a week. The only thing I take now are stool softeners and I still use the sitz bath for BMs. I'm so glad I had this done. The first week or so was pretty painful, so all the warnings about that were right. But, frankly, I've recovered from two separate 3rd degree perineal tears and a c-section in the last five years, so I'd put this on par with those. In fact, it might have been easier than my perineal tears other than the BM part. I'd take any of those painful experiences over the intense morning sickness I had with my kids. Scarring yes, but I'm not trying to be a butt model. My doctor said I have an extraordinarily high pain tolerance, so that might be skewing my experience. I don't know how one tells if they have a high pain tolerance, but I've been told this before so maybe it is true. Honestly, after the immense pain started to dissipate, I've felt like I've been on vacation. I've been able to walk quite a bit, a mile this afternoon. I don't feel normal just yet, but overall I'd say the recovery has been decent. If I had written 3 or 4 days after the surgery, I might have told a different story, but a week and a half of pain plus a couple weeks of minor discomfort is absolutely worth having the situation taken care of. I had a fantastic surgeon with a great reputation, so my advice to anyone else is find a good doctor!
|

replied March 21st, 2015
Thank you so much for your honest and encouraging post! it has helped me tremendously. I will be calling to schedule my surgery Monday. Wish me luck ... but I feel confident going into this with all the great advice I have read on this forum!
|

replied April 23rd, 2015
A magical aid for hemorrhoids & personal hygiene
14 Weeks post surgery, 99% there, a little mucus but the pain is gone. I feel much better and looking back, I have 1 important tip that has not been mentioned. I was advised by my doctor to get a portable bidet, I was a little confused but I got my self one and it was the best advice ever, why?

More convenient that sitz bath, much easier and you get all the benefits without the inconvenience of a sitz bath. It also allows you to put Betadine in the water, cleaning up on a regular basis is faster and easier. It also allows you to control water temperature, I was able to use warm/hot water.
Last but not least, I can take it anywhere, was able to go to work & travel a few days after the surgery. I would take 5 mins every hour to go to bathroom and rinse.

Doctor told me to use it and forget wiping, he said it is much better than toilet paper, more hygienic and told me the whole family should use it.

Anyways, I got it online and in all honestly, Life has been much better with this portable bidet.
|

replied May 9th, 2015
Hi there. Thank you for your post. I am on my 4th day today after the surgery, and I really appreciate your post. Really, the hardest and the most paintful part is taking a pooh. I went today for the first time, as soon as I read your post. I put all the affort and I did it. I also think better suffer a little and finish with hammoroids than suffer with it the rest of your life.
|

replied May 10th, 2015
It gets better
It gets better every day, do not worry. Fourth day for me was the beginning of the getting better part. Initially I did regret opting for the surgery but when I look back, it was a must, life is much better now. Make sure to soften up your stools as much as possible for the first month and use a portabidet pro to deliver antiseptic and warm water needed.
|

replied July 19th, 2015
Thanks for encouragement
After reading horror stories, these articles about positive ways to manage the surgery are extremely helpful. 1 internal, several external hemorrhoids and have to decide whether surgery is the best action to take. At the same time, I have pelvic floor pain syndrome and am under the care of a physical therapist with certification in treating it. Both conditions seem to feed off each other, causing double pain. There is hope out there! I am very fortunate to have scheduled consultations with different colorectal surgeons. How does one choose the right surgeon is a mystery to me. Any suggestions? Thank you.
|

replied May 18th, 2016
So I made a promise that I would post on this after my surgery. I've read so many posts that were helpful to me and, I wanted to be able to contribute that to others.
There are horror stories!! Too many honestly. Yes there is pain, no it's not unbearable.
This surgery will improve your quality of life. If you've suffered with hemorrhoid at all then you've suffered too long. I had suffered with them since the birth of my daughter. Just like a lot of you suppositories were my life line. I had boxes of them in my car, purse, and every bathroom in the house. It wasn't until I went on vacation last year that I had to come to terms with these awful monsters! At the end of our vacation I couldn't even walk. Despite all the suppositories, creams and the constant pushing them back in I was no match for the thrombose hemorroid that now hung out. It was horrible!! 8 hour ride home then straight to the ER. They lanced the hemorrhoid but, didn't get all of the clots out. So another trip to the ER to have it lanced AGAIN!! Painful!!!
So once that finally healed there was no way I was going to have the surgery. I was pain free at the moment and, couldn't bare the thought of going through it again. Until low and behold, another one!! Seriously?? To which I had to come to terms with this would be my life unless I had the surgery.
Surgery time .. My doctor did have me prep. Miralax, laxatives and, diet a few days prior to the surgery. Every surgeon is different. When I arrived I was very nervous of the severe pain all of the forums said I would be in afterwards. The nurses came in to take me to surgery and, said they were going to give me a little something to relax me before surgery. I don't remember anything except waking up in the recovery room. Fear quickly came over me as I tried to identify where the pain was. There wasn't any. Well my throat hurt badly! But in the lower region I just felt pressure. The nurses gave me some pain medicine through my IV which relieved the throat pain and, my anxiety.
Then I had to pee before I could go home. Honestly the anesthesia was the worst part. It made me feel so sick.
So now for the things that helped me. TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDICINE!! Everyone is so worried about the constipation that they don't want to take it. You can take your pain medicine along with a stool softener and, as long as you eat .. You'll go to the bathroom. I went the second day. I started to go and, it did hurt. However, I read where people used the sitz bath and, I grabbed that, filled it with very warm/hot water and sat down. I went in the sitz bath and I was perfectly fine.
Something I use that most people don't is essential oils. I filled a spray bottle with Helicrysum oil, cypress oil and, Copaiba. The Helicrysum will seal the tears related to surgery and veins (hemorrhoid) plus the cypress had such a cooling affect, the Copaiba is an oil referred to as liquid morphine. These oils applied directly to your anus are a God send. Never mind healing! So after each sitz bath I used the oils. This surgery will change your quality of life. Mainly follow your doctors instructions and, do what's best for you. The heating pad was also very helpful. I put it wherever it felt best. I'm thankful this surgery was available to me. Please don't read the horror stories.
|
Users who thank DLB77 for this post: hojoton 

replied May 18th, 2016
So I made a promise that I would post on this after my surgery. I've read so many posts that were helpful to me and, I wanted to be able to contribute that to others.
There are horror stories!! Too many honestly. Yes there is pain, no it's not unbearable.
This surgery will improve your quality of life. If you've suffered with hemorrhoid at all then you've suffered too long. I had suffered with them since the birth of my daughter. Just like a lot of you suppositories were my life line. I had boxes of them in my car, purse, and every bathroom in the house. It wasn't until I went on vacation last year that I had to come to terms with these awful monsters! At the end of our vacation I couldn't even walk. Despite all the suppositories, creams and the constant pushing them back in I was no match for the thrombose hemorroid that now hung out. It was horrible!! 8 hour ride home then straight to the ER. They lanced the hemorrhoid but, didn't get all of the clots out. So another trip to the ER to have it lanced AGAIN!! Painful!!!
So once that finally healed there was no way I was going to have the surgery. I was pain free at the moment and, couldn't bare the thought of going through it again. Until low and behold, another one!! Seriously?? To which I had to come to terms with this would be my life unless I had the surgery.
Surgery time .. My doctor did have me prep. Miralax, laxatives and, diet a few days prior to the surgery. Every surgeon is different. When I arrived I was very nervous of the severe pain all of the forums said I would be in afterwards. The nurses came in to take me to surgery and, said they were going to give me a little something to relax me before surgery. I don't remember anything except waking up in the recovery room. Fear quickly came over me as I tried to identify where the pain was. There wasn't any. Well my throat hurt badly! But in the lower region I just felt pressure. The nurses gave me some pain medicine through my IV which relieved the throat pain and, my anxiety.
Then I had to pee before I could go home. Honestly the anesthesia was the worst part. It made me feel so sick.
So now for the things that helped me. TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDICINE!! Everyone is so worried about the constipation that they don't want to take it. You can take your pain medicine along with a stool softener and, as long as you eat .. You'll go to the bathroom. I went the second day. I started to go and, it did hurt. However, I read where people used the sitz bath and, I grabbed that, filled it with very warm/hot water and sat down. I went in the sitz bath and I was perfectly fine.
Something I use that most people don't is essential oils. I filled a spray bottle with Helicrysum oil, cypress oil and, Copaiba. The Helicrysum will seal the tears related to surgery and veins (hemorrhoid) plus the cypress had such a cooling affect, the Copaiba is an oil referred to as liquid morphine. These oils applied directly to your anus are a God send. Never mind healing! So after each sitz bath I used the oils. This surgery will change your quality of life. Mainly follow your doctors instructions and, do what's best for you. The heating pad was also very helpful. I put it wherever it felt best. I'm thankful this surgery was available to me. Please don't read the horror stories.
|

replied March 10th, 2017
Hi, does a person mix the oils with water or anything else, or just oils alone? Thanks so Much
|

replied August 18th, 2016
I have to comment on this forum because fear (from reading forums like this) caused me to cancel my hemorrhoid surgery four different times over a period of several YEARS. I had severe external hemorrhoids and have lived with pain and discomfort for over 12 years. I finally had the surgery done 6 days ago and I wanted to report how things were going. First of all, I researched like crazy and made sure that I was having surgery performed by a specialist - one that has trained extensively in hemorrhoid surgery. I went for more than one opinion and surprisingly one told me I had prolapsed hemorrhoids and one told me I had external. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. In preparation for the surgery, I had every cream, ointment, spray, ice pack and donut available. Like some others have said - none of the Dr's really went that deep into the recovery, I honestly think that if they told you the truth about the recovery- nobody would have it done. Before the surgery I did 2 fleet enemas. I chose to have an (epidural) so that I would not have the extra burden of having to "recover" from the effects of the anesthesia. I could not remember anything and when I woke up I felt less groggy, etc.
I have not read anyone else saying that their Doctor administered an injection that managed pain for up to three days. Both hospitals that I went to told me that they would numb me up and that it would last up to three days - hopefully to get you past the first bowel moment. I had surgery and then went home a few hours later with no feeling in my bottom. I woke up frequently that night, but not from pain. Just recovering from the surgery general I believe. The next day I had discomfort. I couldn't really get comfortable, so I paced around the entire day with occasional sitz baths for soothing. I didn't take any pain meds. The next morning I could tell the numbing shot was wearing off and that was the first time I took any meds. Although I was sent home with pain drugs - I was also told that they would most likely make me nauseous and cause constipation. I took 3 Ibuprofen (600mg) and I did get relief. I alternated this dose of Ibuprofen with 2 extra strength Tylenol for the next few days without ever having to take a prescription pain pill. I took miralax every day to keep my stools soft and raised my feet onto a stool when I needed to poop. I cannot stress enough how important it is to stay relaxed when having a bowel movement. You just have to relax and let it come and be ready to soak in the bath after to cleanse and soothe. I sat in the bath multiple times a day and got relief from that. I will say that when I HAD my hemorrhoids the sitz bath did NOT help, so I was so happy that it did help post surgery. I am typing this on Wednesday and I had the surgery late afternoon the previous Thursday. Today, I have only taken three ibuprofen the entire day and will be going to bed soon without any additional medication. I will say that I am taking it very easy and did not schedule this until my husband was able to take two entire weeks off to be with me to help with our three teenagers. I really feel that a key to recovery is to rest, hydrate and be prepared so that you are not caught in the throws of pain and panic. I was PETRIFIED of this surgery because of all the hellish things I read, and I want others reading this to know, that it isn't always the worst case scenario. Perhaps the people that don't have terrible issues don't take the time to tell others that it wasn't too bad. Don't get me wrong - it hurts a lot, but I didn't experience crying or screaming or gushing of blood or severe swelling or anything like that. I am very bruised and have all sorts of stitches, but it seems to be healing really well. I am 46 year old woman. I am so glad that I did not chicken out and not have the surgery, I just couldn't imagine my entire life with these hemorrhoids and knew that the older I got - the harder it would be to have the procedure done.
|

replied October 14th, 2016
Thanks so much for all the encouragement! Dealing with this for many years, but past 2 1/2 years have been spent avoiding standing and walking much due to discomfort of prolapse. Sitting actually keeps the one external inside and keeps me more comfortable. No way to live for sure. Had banding twice. Worked for a while, but received the word from my surgeon yesterday that the inevitable must be done. I'm no longer a candidate for banding. Been trying to avoid this news for years. I was so terrified yesterday, that I didn't schedule the date yet. I can either bite the bullet and get it over with, or try to wait until after the holidays. Don't know anyone personally who's been through this, so you guys are it! So now I have the weekend to procrastinate and decide by Monday when I'll be doing this. I seriously feel like I'm going to the electric chair. But your posts have been very encouraging compared to some I've read. I do appreciate your stories. I'll keep everyone posted.
|

replied May 29th, 2018
hemorrhoid recovery
Just testing. Have been unable to join this forum. Will be given this procedure next week. Oh, I think I finally got in. Have appreciated all your posts. Am pretty scared. Have no family to help but will call the church if needed. Don't know what to expect as all experiences seem to differ. But am armed with more than what I will probably need. Have a dog - someone to come 3 times a day to potty and feed her but she will be confused that she can't sleep with me. Pretty scared but committed .
|

replied November 2nd, 2016
Surgery day today. One external removed and one internal banded. Had it done Day stay in hospital under sedation and an injection of numbing agent. Resting at home now and thankfully numb. I am bandaged and was instructed not to remove until first (dreaded) BM. Started physiliam husk & colace. Eating light, applesauce, jello and soup for today. Antibiotics, rectacare cream & Vicodin prescribed. Numbing agent injected is supposed to last 24-48 hours or more? Probably starting Vicodin tonight anyway just to be on the safe side. Will keep anyone posted who might wander on. Haven't seen anyone since I originally posted. Wish me luck & prayers for very little pain!
|