Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

home remedies for congestion

Hey all. My lil Adam has his 1st cold. = (
Poor baby was up all night. He had fever once. I gave him 1 dose of infant drops and it took away the fever but hes still not feeling well. Right now all the stuff is draining and he is sounding horrible! He is also coughing it up. The cough sounds wet. This has been going on for 2 days. He only had fever late last night. Should I take him to the doctor for this? I feel that if his fever keeps coming and going then he needs to be seen.

But how do you know if it’s just a virus he will overcome or something serious w/his breathing or something? Also are there any recommendations for home remedies to help clear his sinuses? I have heard of humidifiers, can’t afford one of those. Steams baths…which I will try tonight. And blowing Eucalyptus smoke into the child.
So mommies what have you done for your baby’s?

Hes 6 months by the way....18 pounds
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I would not recommend the smoke. That sounds a little off the wall for a little baby and you don't know how he will react.

If you feel that your baby is bad enough to go to the doctor, then you should take him. Trust your instincts. I know humidifiers can be expensive, but you should try to invest in one because you will need it and use it often. There are some that only run about 30-40 dollars, I believe made by Crane and they come in cute animal shapes.

You can also use a nasal aspirator and water with a bulb syringe to clear out the excess.

Putting baby vicks or metholatum rub on his feet (and then socks) will help him sleep and breathe better at well.
|

replied March 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
yeah the smoke thing was for older children. I wanted to know if anyone else had heard of it.

Well I took him to the doc on Sat. He had a earache! can you beleive that.

I kinda felt stupid cause some people looked at me like you didnt know that???

I didnt though. I suspected, but he never touched his ears or anything. On Sat they barely became sensitive. I would touch the left one and he would get mad and cry so that how i knew. But im a 1st time mom so how was I supposed to know?

I dont know. I kept his fever down though by using cold cloths and such.

Well anyway he had medicine now and is feeling a lot better!
|

replied March 16th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
You don't know when infants have an earache. It is a guessing game.

Like mominashoe said, trust your instincts.

I'm glad everything is better now!
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I'm glad you got him to the doctor! People who tell you that you should know when your child has an ear infection are full of it! Never you mind about them!

I have 6 children and it is very difficult to tell. Sometimes babies just play with their ears because they like it, sometimes they won't let you touch them because they are in a bad mood. The only way to really know is to have a professional take a look, and I'm glad you did.

Best of luck to you, and don't let others take you down. Even with my 6th child, I run into new things here and there. Every child is different.

There are a lot of successful first borns walking around to prove that first time mom's have natural instincts to know what they are doing most of the time Smile
|

replied March 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
thanks ladies....i try not to let those negative people get to me...and its hard cause only my own family have been like that.

oh well as long as my baby is ok the rest doesnt matter
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....