Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Home Feels Different, almost 10 weeks postpartum

I should first preface this by saying that I'm almost 10 weeks postpartum with my first little boy. I feel that I'm struggling a little with postpartum depression, anxiety and maybe a little OCD but using my own coping mechanisms I feel much improvement and feel very loving and bonded towards my baby. My question isn't directly related to PPD, since this is something I've experienced on and off for years, it's just never lasted this long. I do have a history of anxiety/panic and maybe a little depression, but feel for the last few years, I really haven't struggled at all.

Now my question!: After bringing home the baby, I felt like my house was a totally different place. Everything was so foreign. Then I ventured out, went a few places and went to my moms house, and these places feel different too! Sometimes, like at my mother in law's house, I even forget where certain things are in her kitchen, though I should know since we moved from her house less than a year ago after living with her for 9 months. Has anyone experienced this before? This has happened to me in the past when I would be away from somewhere for a while (like when I moved from my parents house -- it felt different) but the feeling has never unsettled me so much. I think about it all the time and just wish everything felt "normal" again. I figured by 10 weeks postpartum I would have settled in by now, but it doesn't seem to be the case yet. I do feel tremendously better than when I first came home, and occasionally get glimpses of how I felt about places before, but I'm still not back to "normal." Also - it's worse on cloudy days. I do suffer from SAD each year from about February to May (next time I'm planning my due date better). What do you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 14th, 2016
Experienced User
I think that you have to give yourself time. The harder you try to make things feel "normal", the stranger they feel. I went through post partum depression after my daughter. It was a really hard time. I didn't feel like myself for 6 months. Good luck to you
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Depression is common, give your self some time and space. Dont overstress, take help of paroxetine for a month. Let your psychiatrist prescribe it for you.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.