Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV transmission risk from massage

Hi there,
I am very worried after a possible HIV exposure in Thailand where I am on holiday at the moment. I received a sports massage (female to female non sexual) at a Thai massage parlour. I had been doing a lot of sit-ups that day and had developed a friction burn on my buttocks. I didn't notice any blood but it stung a lot in the shower. I asked the masseuse not to touch it but I know she touched it twice - once with her fingers and another with her arms as she massaged. I didn't notice her to be visit bleeding but did notice that she had what looked like acne scars on her arms.
7 days later I experienced one night of headache and body aches followed by a pretty bad diarrhea which I have had for over 24 hours and is still on-going.
Am I at risk? Any response appreciated, thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2015
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Its unlikely that you were infected with HIV in specific. If you are worried you can ask your doctor to get tested. Initially a fourth-generation test that identifies the viral protein HIV-1 p24 antigen. If positive, an immunoassay that differentiates HIV-1 from HIV-2 antibodies should be done.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.