Hello Doctor. I am in great need of help.
I had an unprotected sex with a prostitute on November 20 2009. After 12 weeks on Feb 15 i went for an HIV test. The test came out to be negative. Later after 3 more months on May 15 (i.e after total 6 months of my exposure in November 2009) i went for HIV 1 and 2AB test. It came out as negative.

Now doctor is saying that he is 99% sure. for rest 1% get tested after 6 more months.
I thot that getting tested in 3 and then 3 more i.e. total 6 months should be enough to make sure that i do not any any kind of HIV or any other STD infection.

Please help me as I am not able to concentrate on anything as this is always on my mind. Please Help....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Community Volunteer
You are over reacting.It came back negative,let it go...and NEVER have unprotected sex...if you dont get an STD then you know that you will worry yourself sick.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Why risk ur life for a few minutes of pleasure? Most of the time not even that great. Anyways you defenitly had a risk but uve tested negative at 3 months. You dont mention if any symptoms or ARS sickness ever occured. So u should be fine with just the 3 month negative. But if getting tested at 6 months is something you can put urself thru again, then by all means collect another negative. There is no rule agains more than 1 HIV test. Best of luck!
|
Users who thank iknowigotit for this post: 20Nov 

replied May 24th, 2010
Hi...thanks for your reply....u r rite I should have taken care....actually I had some raches on my body but I am not sure what that was due to?other than thus nothing happened... Also I have gone thru' 2 tests ...in 3 months and then again 3 months more....I.e total of 6 months after the exposure....is thr any need of getting tested after 6 more months...that will make total of 1 year....
|

replied May 24th, 2010
I am going to tell u something that may start some controversy here on this site and also might worry some people.
I have tested negative out to 6months, I have tested using multiple Elisa/rapid test, 4 NAAT test, DNA PCR, bDNA, 3 viral loads @ 48 copies undetectable. I even donated blood after my 4 month test. Sounds like I am in the clear right? Well one of the less talked about symptoms of HIV infection is Progressive Generalized Lymphadenopathy, which means ur glands progressivly swell up little by little within the 1st yr long before any other symptoms of HIV appear. So every week I am experiencing a swollen gland at a different part of my body, It all started 1wk after a condom breakage on my lower right abdomen and since then it spread to my throat, armpits, groin, chest, back of elbows/knews, both side of abdominal area, upper/lower back. So believe ur test if ur symptom free but there are many of us experiencing the same lymphadenopathy symptoms after a risky exposure (some even to a confirmed HIV+ person) and still testing negative past 1yr. So again if all ur symptoms are gone and ur testing negative, believe ur results and consider urself lucky.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
I'm interested in your latest position as I have tested negative several times up until 6mths and keep being told I'm okay however I know my body and something isn't right ever since about 8wks after a low risk encounter I have had issues mainly with Lymph area, seeing ENT surgeon at the moment and having read your post I'm concerned as what you describe is very similar to what I'm experiencing. Given your last post was May do you know anything else yet?!
|

hello
well actually today is exactly 1yr since my condom breakage and i have tested out to 11mnths and still nothing but negatives. As of now my health is ok. Some muscle pains but nothing out of the ordinary. But i still have swollen glands all over my body. I still continue to read about people that have had an exposure and also have lymphadenopathy but negative test. I have honestly lost all hope on the test as i find it to be a very hard to believe that i am not infected. Yet every single doctor that i go to tell me test say HIV negative so i must be negative. I guess to each its own. I will just have to wait till my cd4 goes below 200 n some aids OIs takes over my body.
|

I understand where you are at as I'm in very similar position everyone is telling me believe my tests yet I have had continued illnesses every since but the thing which has never gone away has been my glands, sweats and sore throat...

I just want to know as I have a family and keep thinking I have infected them as well as my wife has been ill, mine was oral which is very low risk...
|

hello
Sorry to hear about ur current issue. I wish all this would just end and i could go back to not thinking about HIV each and everyday but i havent been able too. I have even been seeing a shrink.
So u say ur wife is also experiencing symptoms. Try going to google and look up new hiv like virus in china and u will see some info on people that have been getting sick lately after a risky exposure but also continue to test negative.
Hope the best for u and for ur family.
|

replied November 21st, 2010
Did you guys test against other infections?

STDs such as syphilis also cuz swollen lymph glands.

Also there are plenty of other reasons for lymph to be swollen. As a matter of fact, a lot of other viral infection are the cause. I would post a link but I know our dear moderators will remove it based on policies.

I know HIV test after 6 months is pretty much solid. So I wouldn't worry about HIV. It might be other infection, or STD for that matter.

Please consult with your doctor. Some of these infections may not be fatal but can lead to really unfavorable outcome if left untreated (for example, syphilis can give you heart problems).
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
I have tested for every other STD and all came back negative, I've been to shrink and also had hypnotherapy to try and ensure its not a mental thing. Every time I move on unfortunately my body isn't doing the same as I sit here today I still have sore throat, glands feel swollen again and aches under arm pits and diarrhea. I've been going to doctors who have done lots of different tests and that is the worst part for me have found nothing wrong with me.

I've been for 2 std tests at GUM Clinic one at about 5wks the other just short of 3mths, I have two DUO Tests one at about 7wks the other about 9wks and I have had an INSTI at 6mths all negative. Everyone keeps telling me its conclusive which is great but my body is still not right.

More concerning is that after the 6mths one I had unprotected sex with wife on holiday, this was me moving on after being told conclusive and now wife has flu symptoms, diarrhea and is struggling to shift and is tired all time (had this for 3wks now). Doctors have put her on antibiotics she finishes course today and hasn't fully shifted it...

Hopefully this isn't HIV clearly that is the outcome we all want, as we all make mistakes and learn I just don't want this to be at the expense of giving my wife and kids the death sentence.

Hope this makes sense!
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
I can totally imagine your anxiety right now. I would have post more resources for you, but that would be against the policies of this forum.

The fact is your mind can literally make things happened. You can get rashes just by over-thinking. You can have your own heart rate elevated so you will wake up at night, sweating. This is discussed by some doctor online.

The more you worry, the more you are unwell. Take a family holiday and forget about it!

We all make mistakes. I did after I was drunk. The first thing I woke up was not worry about STDs, but rather i was incredibly ashamed for what i did. Then a week after i start worrying about STDs.

Can't mend the past. All you can do is make sure you do better in the future, and not make the same mistake again. And treat your wife and kids even better (i know you will ^^)

The fact is, your mental state is highly related to your health. So please take care.

I talked too much. God bless.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....