Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV test accuracy at 30 days

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hello Doctor:
I had a HIV test 31 days after protected sex with CSW, the result came to negative. I am just wondering how accurate the test is, at 30 days. Most of people say test at 6 weeks or 3 months will be a good indiicator. Can most of people produce enough detectable antibody at 30 days? I mean the adults who have normal immune system. Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A10900
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the right time for HIV testing.
Though a person who is infected with HIV will become infectious very rapidly (within a day or so), he will normally have to wait a while before an HIV test will produce an accurate result. The length of time a person should wait before taking an HIV test will depend on the type of test they are taking.
In the vast majority of cases, the standard test that will be offered at an HIV testing centre will be an HIV antibody test. The HIV antibody test looks for antibodies to the virus in a person's blood. For most people these antibodies take 6 weeks to 3 months to develop. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months. It is extremely rare for a person to take any longer than 6 months to develop detectable antibodies.
You can go for repeat testing at 3 months and again at 6 months so that this window period for the appearance of antibodies is taken into account as far as possible.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.