Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV risk assessment through testing

User Profile
I want to know the risk involved. I am posting it second time as I could not get the assistance earlier in the forum.

I am male and I had sex with a girl (I doubt her past) but I don't know about her HIV status. While I was using the condom she helped me to put it on my Penis. I am not sure whether she had any vaginal fluid on her fingers or not.But she touched the inside wall of a condom and then put it over my penis.The condom did not break or slip in the process....It was my first sex experience and first vaginal intercourse in life....I am quite paranoid and restless now... Is there any risk? I did not indulge in any kind of oral or anal sex..only she touching my condom with her hand putting on my penis is a big concern.... Also I am feeling bit dizzy and have abdomen pain 3 days after the incident...Very restless, lack of concentration and fear is accruing my depression.I am feeling so guilty now.
I will appreciate doctors response regarding the risk.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A11502
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether there is a risk of becoming infected with HIV during the event that you described.

Human immune deficiency virus affects the human immune system by weakening it. Once immune system cells are decreased in number, individuals start to experience frequent bacterial and viral infections which may be difficult to treat with antibiotics. One of the ways of transmission of HIV is sexual intercourse. The incidence of being infected with HIV during intercourse is smaller(1 on every 3000) than the one of the infection with Hepatitis B virus (1 on every 300).

Given the data that you described, you suspect that you might be at risk of being infected with HIV. You may consider recalling the event and trying to answer the following questions: 1. Did she touch her genital area before putting the condom on? 2. Did she have bleeding cuts on the skin of her fingers? If the answers of these two questions are negative, you are not at risk of being infected with HIV. You may consider having one of the diagnostic tests for diagnosis of possible HIV infection, such as ELISA, IFA and Western blot. The symptoms that you described--dizziness, abdominal pain and lack of concentration--may appear as a result of the anxiety and stress that you experience. In case of HIV infection the first symptoms appear after two or four weeks after the suspicious event and may include symptoms such as fever, lymphadenopathy, sore throat, rash, myalgia and malaise.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of possible HIV infection.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.