Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

hiv infection from using non-sterile gauze possible?

Hi, I was tested at an std clinic few days ago, including for hiv, which turned out negative. However, after the nurse took my blood sample and pulled the needle out of my arm she pressed my needle puncture with a gauze that she previously folded on an armrest of a chair used by all patients (including those hiv positive). There were no visible traces of anything on the armrest of a chair - it seemed clean - but i cannot be sure about the microscopic traces or viruses. To add, the nurse was using gloves.

I realize this is not exactly a conventional way of hiv transmission but i am still worried and can't get this out of my head. Is there any chance I could get infected by a "visibly clean but microscopically unclean" gauze pressed on my needle puncture?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2010
Supporter
As long as there wasn't any bodily fluids including blood on that guaze pad you should be fine.

Only way to know for sure is to get tested again.

Also, pipe up.

If your nurse of doctor is doing something you are not comfortable with like reusing gauze pads, then let them know.

They will make right with you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....