Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV infection from tongue piercing ?

hi..... i am a lesbian and i had unprotected sex with a girl who might have the hiv virus and i would like to know what are the chances of me being infected by it......and her tongue was pierced and we really kissed pretty long can i be infected by that too.....................?!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
Supporter
I could not find any percentages that would tell you how safe or unsafe unprotected sex is with another woman. In fact, in a 2006 article the CDC said there had not been any confirmed cases of female to female transmission of AIDS/ HIV. (I don't want to get into a debate about it. I am just repeating what I read from one of the most reputable medical sources in the United States.) http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/women/resour ces/factsheets/wsw.htm
There are, of course, HIV positive lesbians but other risk factors were believed to transmit the virus.
I don't want to give you a false sense of security, though. EVERYONE should be having safe sex. Lesbian sex involves the exchange of body fluids so it IS possible to transmit HIV. So, yes, it's possible to contract HIV through female to female sex.

Edited to add: The CDC deems a case 'unconfirmed' if there are ANY other risk factors that may have resulted in the transmission. (heterosexual sex, IV drug use...)
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
Community Volunteer
women on women is considered safe for the most part.It is pretty unheard of to get HIV from lesbian sex.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....