Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV infection from insemination ?

Dear Doctor,
I know it was a very stupid thing to do and I feel desperately ashamed, but I recently performed AI using a donor specimen from someone I don't really know anything about. I did ask to see HIV/STD test certificate beforehand, and was shown one, but it was from June 2008. He claimed to be married and in a monogonous relationship, and I didn't have any real reason to doubt him...but I realize now it was still a foolish and risky thing to do as you can never be sure they are who they say they are.
I am insanely worried I might have caught something and will get an hiv test in 3 months, but I really want to know what the chances are that I might contract hiv? I am otherwise fit and healthy, albeit underweight, with a good immune system (I don't get ill often).
Please help,
Thanks.
ps. Are there other tests I should/could get done before 3 months?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
HIV transmission through artificial insemination using sperm from anonymous donor is possible, but, during last two decades has happened in less than 20 women.
This happens very rarely, because the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends screening semen donors for HIV antibodies two times: first on the day the semen is collected, and then 6 months later.
If the donor is HIV-positive 6 months after the donation or if the donor does not return for his 6-month checkup, his semen is not used.

You may ask for early HIV testing.
Tests like the p24 antigen test and HIV PCR test can give accurate results within three weeks of infection.

Best wishes!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank MandMs for this post: homerx  guest28791 
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....