Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV infection after tooth extraction?

I had a tooth pull out, two hours later, I ate and drank water in a restaurant. If an HIV+ drank before in the same glass, probably in the afternoon, is it possible I got infected?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi,
No chance to get HIV this way.
The HIV is very sensitive and fragile virus, cannot survive outside of the body. Also, there is not enough virus in the mouth so if an HIV positive person kiss you, you don`t get the virus.
So do not worry.
Nick
|

Even though I had a big big wound in my mouth?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi there,
Since you had no oral sex with your big wound in your mouth, just a glass of water, you are fine.
Believe me, HIV cannot survive outside of the body except in needles and syringes, but you did not use intravenous drugs.
I suggest you to check out the fact sheet of HIV on the CDC website.
If you still think that you can be infected this way, you rather need a psychiatry evaluation than a HIV test.
If you have any question feel free to ask.
With regards,
Nick
PS. What I wrote is based on my studies from a medical school.
|

Thanks, I know my problem has to do with anxiety and an irregular phobia... I made the decision of having the PCR test, is that accurate?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi,
I really want to highlight you that there is no way to get HIV drinking that glass of water.
The problem with the PCR test: that is not 100% sure. That is just very close to 100% (95% as I get the info from the LabCorp) and to get the best answer the test must be done, as I know, 21 days after exposure. But in your case: there was no exposure!
Find a therapist and you will have a happier life!
Nick
|

Thanks for your answer, but as I know myself, I just thought, let's wait, if I'm lucky, that's exclellent, if unlucky, I choose, SADNESS or GOING ON. IN this decade it ain't as hard as it was in the 80s and 90s, so thanks for your advice, but Psychologist and Therapist, and even Naturist and Homeophathy Doctors can't fight my mind, I have already tried.
|

I mean, I'll wait for the right time to have the tests.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Hi, I made a CMIA (chemiluminiscence microparticle test), the people in the lab told me it's reliable and conclusive after 2 months. The result was negative; they say, you need no more tests, this means you are negative, we use the last techonology. So, now I can be relaxed. ... What do you think about it?
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi,
I can agree. You can relax and look forward to the next year. Smile
Happy New Year!
With best wishes,
Nick from CA
|

replied December 31st, 2011
I took a CMIA two months after the suppossed exposure. NEGATIVE. =)
Moreover, I have another question. Someone hurt my ear with her teeth. I had a pimple on it; I immediately dried the minute saliva after the touch and washed the area... I had no wound, but a tiny pimple. Any risk this way?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi there,
You should memorize the following thing about HIV:
HIV cannot be transmitted by saliva. (HIV is not like rabies or flu.)
HIV can be transmitted by:
1. Unprotected sex
2. Blood (mostly by shared needles)
3. Under the pregnancy from the mother to the baby and by breast feeding.
I hope I`m clear.
Happy New Year!
Nick
|

So, I just 'kick out the cockroaches out my head'? (in my country the literal expression means FORGET A WRONG IDEA. Thanks, and excuse me, my doubt was about the fact that saliva can carry the virus, but how can't it infect if it has the virus. Finally, to close, isn't a pimple considered broken or damaged skin? THanks again for clarifying my doubts.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....