Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV infected- touched my undergarments with semen!

User Profile
Today i my friend(HIV infected) touched my undergarments with semen and i became wet and i felt it in side is this is enough to get infected? many times it happened in past also please help me...
wat should i do now?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A22027
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the risk of contacting HIV on exposure to the secretions(semen) of the friend who is a known case of HIV.
The first thing is that you should always take precautions and avoid high risk sexual exposure. Since now you seem to be exposed and there is definite risk though it is not sure that you will become infected as the same can be ascertained only on HIV testing which is offered as a standard at 3 months post exposure.
You can discuss the same with your doctor and the HIV counsellor who can also arrange for a rapid diagnosis with some tests that are positive earlier than 3 months of high risk exposure and the role of drugs for post exposure prophylaxis can be discussed at the same time.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.