Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV, HSV Is it impossible for us to have safe sex?

User Profile
I found out about a year ago I have hsv-2. A guy that I just started dating disclosed that he is HIV positive. I have no plans on being intimate with him, or anyone, until I am married but I would like to know if the time should come, am I at increased risk because of my hsv? Is it impossible to have safe sex with him?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2015
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A51525
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

HSV 2 infection mainly affects the genitals. You can have sex with HIV positive partner if safe sex practices are practiced. You should use barrier contraceptives and avoid oral sex that involves coming into contact with damaged mucosal surfaces. You are not at an increased risk of contracting HIV than any other person with the same risk factors.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.