User Profile
Hi, I am hoping that you will be able to help me. I have searched the internet and have found some really conflicting information. I am looking for a definite and detailed (if possible) explanation to the perceived risk.
My husband (who thinks he has not been at risk at all) was recently involved in an incident with a friend who got cut on his head.
His friend had a cut at the top of his head and was bleeding (enough to require stitches at the hospital,he had fallen on the floor after the blow to his head. My husband helped him up off the floor and got him into the ambulance. He had not cuts on his hands and does not remember getting any blood on his face. He did however, have a fresh graze/superficial wound on his shin.
My concern is that when picking his friend up off the floor he somehow managed to get fresh blood into this wound.
I have read on line that this is remote to non existent for 2 reasons. The first being that in order to transmit HIV an almost set of near perfect

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A16711
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You probably seem concerned by the risk of your husband contacting the HIV from his friend as the blood from the cut on the head of his friend entered into a wound on your husband's shin.
In order for infection to occur, three things must happen:
1.You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood or breast milk, AND
2.The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion etc., AND
3. Transmission must occur, directly from one person to the other, very quickly (the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body).
First, the contact of blood with the wound on your husband's shin poses a definite risk of transmission of HIV to your husband if the blood is infected. For cuts and wounds, once a scab forms (usually within a few hours), this would no longer give access to the bloodstream, preventing HIV from entering. Of course, the deeper the cut, or the more severe the damage to the skin, the longer it will take for healing to take place. Not everyone heals (and therefore produces a scab) at the same rate, so nobody can give you an exact amount of time it would take for a cut/wound to heal, or for a scab to form. But the larger the cut, the greater the amount of time it would take for a scab to form, and for the cut to heal. Let me repeat that the amount of time it takes for a scab to form, and for a cut to heal, can vary from person to person. Numbers and percentages really are just guidelines. Infection can and does occur after one exposure. The only way to know if one has been infected is to get tested. Percentages and numbers should not be a substitute for testing.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.