User Profile
Can you get HIV from breast milk?

4 weeks ago I was in a brothel and I sucked both nipples of a girl. When I sucked her nipples a lot of milk came out. She had a 3-year old son at home. When I sucked her nipples I had a few sores in my mouth, and I had bad gums. I now have diarrhea, sore throat, muscle ache, fever with chill and bad tiredness. She was 22 years old, and I am 38.

Am I at any risk of getting HIV?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2018
HIV and AIDS Answer A62877
Welcome to e health forum.

With regard to possibility of HIV infection to infants of HIV positive Mothers, who are breast feeding, it has been found that prolonged breast feeding more than 6 months has been associated with positive infections.

The HIV virus has been found in breast milk, and it can also be passed from mother to child during feeding if the mother's nipples are cracked and bleeding.

Until recently, the World Health Organization (WHO) advised HIV-positive mothers to avoid breastfeeding if they were able to afford, prepare and store formula milk safely. But research has since emerged, particularly from South Africa, that shows that a combination of exclusive breastfeeding and the use of antiretroviral treatment can significantly reduce the risk of transmitting HIV to babies through breastfeeding.

However, there are no recorded cases of any adults acquiring HIV from breast milk. The scenario you have described here poses only a theoretical risk for HIV.

Since this situation poses only a theoretical/negligible risk for HIV you may not choose to get tested. However, we do recommend that all sexually active people get tested regularly for HIV and other STIs. Testing 3 months after a possible exposure will provide you with a conclusive result.

The symptoms you have been experiencing are more likely due to common cold viruses or streptococcal bacterial pharyngitis. You should recover soon within a few days with proper rest, anti-inflammatory agents, proper hydration and if needed prescription medications from your doctor.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.