Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hi doctor, i had a possible exposure aprox. 2 and a half months ago. I had headaches, nausea no vomiting, muscle and joint pain, no flu like symptoms though. My tonge looks more white than normal i thought it was thrush but my doctor said i looks normal. I\'ve been tested 3 times so far the last one at seven weeks since exposure. All test have been negative my doctor said im ok but i am still unaseay. What should i do? Is this last test reliable? Please help i feel like im loosing my mind.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2018
HIV and AIDS Answer A62956
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely cause of your symptoms would be due to common viral infections (common cold) which are common when you come in close contact (as during handshakes during meetings, kissing, sexual intercourse, etc) with new individuals, when nasal or oral secretions can be passed on to infect others.

Most of these cases improve on their own within a few days without treatment. Some measures like adequate rest, anti-inflammatory medications (advil, tylenol), good diet can help in recovery.

Risk of acquring HIV are as follows:
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act.
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

The infectivity of a HIV positive person depends on the HIV load detected in the infected person. If the viral load of a person is higher than 3500 copies/ ml, then the risk of getting infected would be higher.

In case, you think, you may be infected with HIV, The only way, you can confirm it, is by getting tested for HIV. Having a negative test result will help you clear the fear of being infected with HIV.

As per CDC recommendations, the only test used to screen for HIV is the ELISA test, which detects HIV antibodies in the body secretions and or blood. The 4th generation ELISA tests for HIV, detects both the HIV antibody as well as antigens of HIV virus. Hence the test that is very accurate and sensitive at detecting HIV infection. This test can be done after 4 weeks of exposure. If found negative, the test should repeat it every 4 weeks until 12 weeks.

In case the test results are negative after 12 weeks, then you can consider yourself as HIV free.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.