Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

hitting, screaming, kicking, etc. in my sleep

User Profile
I've been struggling with hitting, screaming, kicking, etc. in my sleep for quite a while. The other night I woke up trying to strangle my cat (not something I would ever even consider doing when awake). Unfortunately, I never remember dreams, so I'm not sure what is going on or what is triggering this. I am a survivor of childhood sexual, physical and emotional abuse and suffer from PTSD. While my husband is used to me kicking, screaming and hitting, bringing my cats into it is something new. I don't want to hurt anyone or anything and don't know what to do to help end this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am in counseling, on antidepressants, but am highly stressed due to job pressures. I also wake up every night for about an hour and suffer from severe fatigue during the day--I take Provigil in make it through the work day. I also have MS and pernicious anemia. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2015
Sleep Disorders Answer A50906
Thank you for consulting e-healthforum. Your story is complex. It is hard to to be certain. You obviously have some sleep disorder. Possible causes: depression or sleep apnea. Your behavior in sleep is closest to REM sleep behavior disorder. Even though it is mostly associated with Parkinson's disease, similar phenomenon may be caused by other sleep disorders. SSRIs may worsen this phenomenon. You need an appropriate diagnosis and treatment of your sleep disorder first. Daytime sleepiness will improve as well. Provigil is not a solution.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.