My son is 14 he dunked on a basketball goal and it came down on his head. It hit hard but he seems fine just said it sore where it hit. but it indented a knot didn't come out. And the rim was metal. I was always told that it is bad.. My question is should I take him to the ER or wait till morning to see if any changes and take him to his pediatrician....our hospitals are flooding with people with the flu and I dont want him to get that for sure. please help... Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2017
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

All head injuries should be examined by the doctor. However, you can monitor signs of head injury at home too: persistent nausea, vomiting, excess sleep, severe headache, difficulty in walking and balance, tremors, seizures, vision problems, ringing in ears or any symptoms that is appears suddenly. Meanwhile book an appointment to show his pediatrician at the earliest you can get.

If your son had complete tetanus immunization profile with last dose administered between 13-18 years of age as part of DPT/polio cover program then he would not need any tetanus shots. However, if no immunization was given at 10 years of age, I would suggest you get him for immunity.

Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: parenting, Flu
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Parenting Community , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.