I have been living in Europe for the past 6 years. In 9 days I will be moving back home to Hawaii. Yesterday I broke my foot and that doctor said it will take at least 6 weeks to heal. Can I purchase health insurance (maybe HMSA or Kaiser Permanente) and be covered by the HIPAA if my previous insurance company is/was French or does it only apply to American insurance coverage? How do I come home next week as planned and still get health care for my broken foot (I am concerned that there may be some physical therapy).

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 15th, 2008
HIPAA and Living abroad
Hello there,

I don't believe that you will be able to get HIPAA coverage with your preivous carrier being in France. It only applies to people who have coverage through American insurance companies.

Good luck.

Kathy K
|

replied May 19th, 2009
HIPAA and Living abroad
Hi,

I also don't think you will be able to get HIPAA coverage. HIPAA rule has very specific requirements with regard to creating, implementing, or changing Policies and Procedures and this applies to insurance companies also. If your insurance company is French Based which does not follow the HIPAA rules and regulations then you won't be applicable for HIPAA coverage. Maybe I think this site can help you to find something on it

|