User Profile
What is entailed in a surgery for femoral hip retroversion correction for a 20 yr old, 245 lb male?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
paddyjr,

Simply, it entails cutting the femur, turning it to the desired location, and then fixing it with hardware.

But, what exactly is done depends upon several things. If the desired outcome is to turn the lower extremity (so the rest of the extremity is not turned out or in so much) then the cut is usually made just below the lesser trochanter and the femur is stabilized with an intramedullary nail.

If, however, the femoral neck and head direction has to be changed, to that the head points into the acetabulum better, then the cut is usually made in the intertrochanteric area. This is then fixed with one of several hardware constructs, such as a blade plate, dynamic hip screw system, variable locking screw plates, gamma nail, etc. Choice of hardware is basically a surgeon's preference.

This is a fairly big operation in that large of an adult. Usually, these types of surgeries are done in small children. But, they can be done at any age on any size of a patient. With the hardware available now days, external casting is usually not necessary. In days gone by, patients used to be placed in "body casts", a one and a half hip spica cast which went from the nipples all the way down to the toes, on one side. Again, this is very, very rarely done any more.

But, every case is a little different. So, as to what exactly is going to be done your case, you should ask your surgeon. He/she knows your case, has seen the x-rays, and has done the planning for the surgery. Be sure you understand what is going to be done. What the post-op management is going to be? What limitations are there post-op, both immediately and down the road? What is the expected outcome? Are there other options? and What are the risks and benefit?

Good luck.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
I wish you luck mate i had both my hips replaced and it has left me a cripple be careful
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....