I am looking for any information I can get regarding hip revision surgery. I was recently informed that my implant is failing and that I would need to have it taken out the sooner the better. I have been suffering with a lot of pain, some days not able to walk. I am scared and do not know anyone who has had to have this type of surgery. The inplant I currently have is a Du puy which is recalled. I would like to hear others experiences, symptoms, recovery, etc. I am very scared and do not know what to expect. Please help!
Suzie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
hi Suzie

I had a revision 3 years ago as the cup failed and caused allot of destruction into the pelvis I needed a bone graph. unfortunately the old femur component they could not remove so just ended up with a plastic only cup screwed into my pelvis.
Recovery was same time as when I had the first one when I was 17 IM now 37 and was up and about in 3 months.
Looking into getting mine revised again due to chronic pain.
I think the sooner you have it revised the better so their is less bone destruction so the surgeon to compensate for.

take care

Chris
|

replied April 15th, 2012
hi Suzie

I had a revision 3 years ago as the cup failed and caused allot of destruction into the pelvis I needed a bone graph. unfortunately the old femur component they could not remove so just ended up with a plastic only cup screwed into my pelvis.
Recovery was same time as when I had the first one when I was 17 IM now 37 and was up and about in 3 months.
Looking into getting mine revised again due to chronic pain.
I think the sooner you have it revised the better so their is less bone destruction so the surgeon to compensate for.

take care

Chris
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....