Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

hip arthritis at age 24

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
I have been dealing with hip pain for the last 2 years. I first noticed it while doing karate. The pain was unbearable and I had to quit karate. The first doctor I went to thought I was exaggerating my pain because I was too young. The second doctor took an MRI, sent me to PT, and had me get a cortisone shot. The cortisone shot helped so much for a while. The doctor said to stay out of karate for a few weeks and to return when I felt better. I tried to return and the pain came back full force.

I hadn't gone back to the doctor since that second time, which was about 1.5-2 yrs ago. The pain would just flare up occasionally.

The pain has come back even worse. It's always been located in the groin area and buttock area. It is worse from prolonged sitting at work and school and from walking. I went to a new doctor who said I most likely have early arthritis. He told me to take advil and come back in a few weeks. The advil was killing my stomach so I switched to Aleve, which takes the edge off sometimes but other days it is excruciating. I use heat and ice as well. I'm not sure what else to do. I can't believe I have to live with this for the rest of my life...
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2011
Especially eHealthy

Unfortunately, "arthritis" is often used as a waste basket diagnosis, when the physician doesn't know what else could be causing the problem.

If you are not seeing an orthopedic surgeon, you should be.

You may have a femoral acetabular impingement (FAI). This is a diagnosis that is fairly new, so many established physicians do not know about it. But, it is a cause of hip pain in young persons.

Again, if you are not seeing an orthopedic surgeon, you would probably be well served to be evaluated by one. If you are, you might ask about FAI as a cause of your hip pain. It can be diagnosed based on examination and plain hip x-rays.

Good luck.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 10th, 2011
I agree with the other posts. Arthritis seems to be too general of a diagnosis here. You should push this issue with another specialist. It could be anything from a pinched nerve to osteoarthritis and so forth. To protect your joints and cartilage, you can take a daily glucosamine supplement. I take a liquid gluc. supplement everyday, just to ensure I stay in the best of health. Good luck hon, and don't stop until you find the answer!
Did you find this post helpful?