Hi

I am 30 years old, I had graves disease with a large goiter. I had a total thyroidectomy preformed in 2008 thyroid cancer was found. I was placed on levothyroxine .175. In may of 2010 my TSH level was 16 in October 2010 it was 5 and in March 2011 it was 55. My doctor called me and said that he had concerns that this high of a level could lead to heart problems and arthritis, ( I was diagnosed with Rheumatiod Arthritis in 2007) however he said he would discuss this with me in six weeks when we would test my levels again and to continue my levothyroxine dose as normal until then.

I am curious of the long term effects this level is having on my body if you have any info i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2011
Unfortunately, it can be rather difficult to control some patient's thyroid hormone levels with medication following thyroidectomy.

Actually, a high TSH level is suggestive of hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone level), rather than excessive thyroid hormone levels.

You should discuss these concerns with your Endocrinologist, as well.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
Thank you
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.