Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

High HIV risk - re-testing necessary ?

User Profile
Hi Dr.I had a really high risk with an hiv + person, he didn't know he had it, till I started having symptoms and ask him for testing and he tested +, I had a really bad rash along with loss of appetite, nauseas, period changes, Im only having my period for 1 day, a lot of chills, tingling on my arms and feets, 1 cold hand and the otherone at normal temperature, now I'm having mouth ulcers and this flu symptoms for over a month now, sore throats, I did this tests at 3 months mark:
PCR RNA QUANT--undetectable or -20 copies
RNA QUAL-NEG
MULTISPOT AB-NEG
4th gen- neg
**Due to my high risk and my symptoms I have to re-test at 6 months right?
**I think I did the PCR QUANT TEST TO LATE cuz viral load goes down soon after infection even to undetectable levels right?
*I'm pretty sure I got it, I was a pretty active person and I'm feeling tired and sleepy all the time and the flu just dosen't go away, I also been having little red points on my leg and arms that comes and goes, also on my torso.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2017
HIV and AIDS Answer A62155
Welcome to e health forum.

Risk of acquring HIV are as follows:
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act.
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

The infectivity of a HIV positive person depends on the HIV load detected in the infected person. If the viral load of a person is higher than 3500 copies/ ml, then the risk of getting infected would be higher.

The chances of having HIV, from a single unprotected sexual encounter (male to female) is actually very low to result in a confirmed infection from a single episode. In addition, the risk increases when there is ejaculation in the vagina. The risk is low in cases of Vaginal penetration without ejaculation.

For females, Having unprotected sexual intercourse with ejaculation within the vagina, multiple times with a HIV infected male increases the cumulative risk and hence the possibility of a positive blood test for HIV.

Hence you should be careful before having intercourse with any person with unknown HIV status or not trustworthy.

As per CDC and WHO recommendations, any person who is suspected of being exposed to HIV should get HIV tests (ELISA Antibody test for HIV 1 & 2 ) at least after 4 weeks post exposure.

In case the HIV antibody test is negative, repeat testing is recommended every 4 weeks upto 6 months.

But in cases of very low risk of HIV infection, testing at 12 weeks can be considered as conclusive

In your case, if the person was actually HIV positive, then he also may have risk of other STDs, and you need to get a proper STD screening at your local Clinic.

The test you have taken is sensitive and very accurate. But the timing of doing the test matters, due to the prolonged window period (latent period) associated with HIV. Most infected people can be detected within 12 weeks post infection, and screening should be carried out until this time. If the tests before this 12 week waiting period is negative, it does not mean that you have to stop testing, and think that you are free from HIV. You need to repeat the tests until your 12 week test result is negative.

It would be highly recommended that you consult a HIV counsellor and seek help in managing yourself during this waiting period.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.