Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

High blood pressure from renal stenosis

User Profile
I have only one renal artery to my left kidney, and this artery has renal stenosis caused by fibro muscular dysplasia. This has caused me high blood pressure (stage 2/3) and therefore i now take medication to control this. In a recent MRI it showed the stenosis has worsened. As I only have one artery, what will this mean for my long term health if it continues to worsen? Is there anything that can be done? Also, is there a name for only having one renal artery? (My right kidney has 3)

I am a 24 year old female

Many thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2018
Kidney Conditions Answer A62869
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

If medications are not helping and if the stenosis is worsening then doctors can perform two types of procedures: one is renal artery stenting in which a hollow pipe is put into the artery through your leg vein and this opens up the stenosed artery. The other procedure, is relatively more complicated in terms of procedures, and is called renal artery angioplasty, in which the stenosed portion is bypassed by putting a graft from your leg vein or in some cases by joining with another artery.

Well, in general there are only 2 renal arteries, right-supplies the right kidney and left supplies the left kidney. Each artery in turn branches into smaller arteries. So, if you have 3 right renal arteries, then this could be because of branching, or it may be an anatomical variation of no great consequence.

Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.