User Profile
Hello Razz

I have had high blood pressure now for over a month - the highest reading was 202/143. My doctors do not know the cause of this and put me on some tablets - however this as not helped one bit.

I am a healthy 40 year old women with no other health problems.

Any clues as to what the problem might be and the cause?

Thanks

Lou Razz
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2009
Supporter
Do you smoke?

Feel stressed?

Full rhythmic breathing can greatly impact high blood pressure. You might want to look into some breathing practices.
|

replied April 13th, 2009
Experienced User
The following are causes of high blood pressure:

Smoking
Being overweight
Lack of physical activity
Too much salt in the diet
Too much alcohol consumption (no more than 1 to 2 drinks per day)
Stress
Older age
Genetics
Family history of high blood pressure
Chronic kidney disease
Adrenal and thyroid disorders

Some people even have higher blood pressure when they go to the doctor. It's called "white coat syndrome". People just get nervous being around doctors. You should check it when you aren't in a doctor's office. I can't imagine you would feel well if your pressure is that high, that's dangerously high. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2009
high blood pressure
Hiya

Thanks for you replys - I am a smoker unfortunatly - but that is my only vice!
Im not overweight - dont drink - very active -a bit of stress but nothing out of the norm

I have a blood pressure monitor and check it on a regular basis and today its been very high all day! but to be honest I feel ok...I have a funny 5 mintues every now and then (but thats nothing new for me Smile ).

If it stays this high I'll go back to my GP but they are just as clueless as me!

Thanks again!

Lou
|

replied April 19th, 2009
Don't check frequently
One day my blood pressure was increasing consistently and I was keep checking 10 minutes. It was night time and I even went to ER but when I checked before entering the hospital I found pressure has fallen down. Advice from my relative is not to check frequently and that itself going to increase the blood pressure due to anxiety. Also may be because I myself drived to ER., shifting the concentration to driving must have brought down my high bp. Relax, distract from what you are thinking can be good way to bring down the bp as per doctors.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2009
Supporter
140/90 is considered high. i am very concerned about how high your pressure is. please consider stop smoking. you can have a stroke if your pressure stays high. my doctor put me on lipitor. if the tables doesn't work can't he put you on something else.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
There are a couple of things that can cause BP to raise suddenly are commonly overlooked, such as decongestants, NSAIDS (ibuprofen especially), certain migraine headache medications and weight loss supplements such as sibutramine and appetite suppressants. Some women also have stong reactions to contraceptives and they can cause their bp to rise. Good Luck!
|

replied May 14th, 2009
High Blood Pressure Cause?
Smoking will definitely make your blood pressure go up. I don't smoke, but in my case two things I found that lowered my blood pressure were eating a lot of fruit (to get potassium) and using the breathing techniques. I have to tell you that the breathing techniques really work, it lowers my blood pressure instantly.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....