User Profile
I’m a 49 yr old woman. Recently (Past few weeks) my blood pressure has been quite high. It stays at or around 130/90. A few days earlier it even went up to 145/95. I’m asymptomatic except my ears get hot, sort of feels like hot air coming out of my ears. That’s when I know my pressure might be high. My late father had high blood pressure, my older sister takes blood pressure medications and another one of my older sisters have also recently started taking medications for blood pressure. I’m not too keen on taking blood pressure medications as I’ve heard that if you start taking blood pressure medications you can’t stop taking them. Many people have said that 130/90 or 130/80 is normal for my age but I’m afraid this might damage me internally (heart, brain etc). I’ve done several Echocardiograms and all of them have reported to be normal. Im also obese but I’ve been controlling my diet and walking for an hour daily. Serum cholesterol=226 mg/dL, Triglycerides= 215 mg/dL.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2018
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A64641
Home BP monitoring or ambulatory BP monitoring is required to determine if there is need for anti hypertensive medication as one or two high readings alone can’t be used as indication. Anti hypertensive meds have to be taken life long. Long term damage occurs only if there is persistent hypertension leading to increased risk of cardiac remodelling and stroke among other complications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.