I am 20 years old and I found out that my bilirubin is 2.6. I heard that normal is 1.0 or something. I've went to several doctors to find out what the problem was and they said all the other enzyme levels were fine. They said the indirect level was normal.They said I have Gilbert Syndrome. Other symptoms I have is a fatty liver and I have a polyp in my gallbladder. It has increased from last year until now. I don't know what all these symptoms are. I want to know if this is anything serious and if I am able to drink alcohol. They said that i can drink socially. Is this true? I don't want to take any risks. I really do hope any of the doctors can reply to my post. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2010
Hello and thank you for your question on eHealthForum.

Gilbert's syndrome is a most common cause of hereditary hyperbilirubinemia. It is due to reduced activity of a liver enzyme, that is involved in bilirubin metabolism. Seen in 5-10% of the population. The main symptom is otherwise harmless jaundice, which usually does not require treatment.
The fatty liver is associated with regular intake of alcohol and high fat diet and is not a complication of Gilberts Syndrome. This is not harmful and is completely reversible when you reduce your alcohol intake. But overindulgence can make it progress to liver cirrhosis over a period of 4-10 years depending on the amount and regularity of alcohol intake.

Additional information is needed on the size of the polyp in the gall bladder to comment on it. Usually smaller polyps are not harmful and can be relatively benign.

Patients with Gilbert's can drink socially, but over-drinking can predispose them to Alcoholic liver diseases, the same as the general population.

Through extensive investigation, it seems that your doctors have excluded all other conditions. To go ahead, it is better to drink responsibly and take care of your health.

Please visit your physician for further diagnosis and to confirm these suggestions.

I hope this helps.
|

replied June 30th, 2018
Experienced User
Lower than normal bilirubin levels are usually not a concern. Elevated levels may indicate liver damage or disease. Higher than normal levels of direct bilirubin in your blood may indicate your liver isn't clearing bilirubin properly. Elevated levels of indirect bilirubin may indicate other problems. Herbal treatment also safe and effective.
|
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.