Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hiatus Hernia, reducing symptoms

i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia 2 days ago. I am 29 years old and have severe pain in my chest which makes breathing uncomfortable ( i thought i was having an asthma attack which then turned into a panic attack the first few times this happened)

I also have found that after eating my abdomen swells up to a rather uncomfortable size ( i look about 7 months pregnant for about an hour at a time) and i get stabbing pains in the area too.

i am wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and if they have any ideas on how to reduce them??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2010
Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to say whether or not the symptoms that you are experiencing are due to your hiatal hernia, versus other causes.

You should be seen by a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation, in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

http://acancerpreventionguide.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied October 14th, 2010
Re: Hiatus Hernia, reducing symptoms
sjd1981 wrote:
i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia 2 days ago. I am 29 years old and have severe pain in my chest which makes breathing uncomfortable ( i thought i was having an asthma attack which then turned into a panic attack the first few times this happened)

I also have found that after eating my abdomen swells up to a rather uncomfortable size ( i look about 7 months pregnant for about an hour at a time) and i get stabbing pains in the area too.

i am wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and if they have any ideas on how to reduce them??

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago myself..I kept having chest pains that were unreal! I too have breathing problems.Like you i thought it was asthma or something and it caused me to panic!!! I am on a waiting list for the Dr now..its been about a month that i've been waiting.For now the dr's put me on medicine which has only made the breathing worse.And told me no alcohol spicy food chocolate sodas or anything with caffeine!!
|

replied October 14th, 2010
Re: Hiatus Hernia, reducing symptoms
sjd1981 wrote:

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago myself..I kept having chest pains that were unreal! I too have breathing problems.Like you i thought it was asthma or something and it caused me to panic!!! I am on a waiting list for the Dr now..its been about a month that i've been waiting.For now the dr's put me on medicine which has only made the breathing worse.And told me no alcohol spicy food chocolate sodas or anything with caffeine!!
|

replied October 19th, 2010
thanks Ashley221988, i had an endoscopy on which they saw the inflamed hernia but am now back on a waiting list to a) wait for the inflamation to go down and b) decide what the next step is.

i was placed on some tablets to remove stomach acid but no other advice was given!! God bless the NHS in the uk.... haha

thanks for the advice i'll try to bear it in mind although tbh the alcohol doesnt effect me but all food does!!!
|
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.