Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hiatal hernia pressing on heart

User Profile
Just diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia that is in my lungs and pressing on my heart. Other than a Gastroenterologist, should a pulmonary/cardiac doctor be involved in the surgery? Are there safe Mesh Implants now?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2017
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A60502
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Hiatal hernia surgery is done only if hiatal hernia is in danger of becoming constricted or strangulated. Fundoplication is the name of the surgical method employed to treat hiatal hernia. During the Nissen fundoplication, the upper part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower esophageal sphincter to strengthen the sphincter, prevent acid reflux, and repair a hiatal hernia. It may also be performed using a laparoscope. A gastroenterologist or a gastro surgeon is the est doctor to deal with such cases. Other doctors are usually not needed unless complications arise during surgery.

Surgical mesh is usually not used for hiatal hernia surgery and have side effects. As per FDA, the most common complications of hernia mesh implants include pain, infection, hernia recurrence, adhesion and bowel obstruction. Hence have faith in your doctor, discuss the pros and cons and go ahead with the surgery.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.