Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Herpes Zoster, fever symptoms, and Aciclovir

User Profile
I've been given a 7 day course of 800mg x 5 of Aciclovir as a treatment for shingles

About a day into my treatment I started to get chills/feel weak (slight fever)
the next, though I was on the mend, but last night - i had SEVERE chills. Literally i was shaking like anything

Could this at all be related to Aciclovir, or did I just coincidentally get another virus at the same time --- the side effects sheet doesn't really mention this.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2008
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A3996
Shingles (herpes-zoster) can’t cause a fever normally because, thanks to the immune system, the virus outbreak remains restricted only to a certain skin area.

Only in cases where the immune system is suppressed (HIV/AIDS, chemotherapy, post transplantation patients) can herpes zoster be spread and cause serious complications (encephalitis, pneumonia, etc) that can be manifested with fever, along with the other symptoms.

In some rare cases, herpes-zoster can provoke acute demyelinisating encephalitis (brain inflammation) that represents a kind of allergic reaction and can be manifested with fever along with the other symptoms.

If the skin lesion is large and secondarily infected with bacteria, it might cause a fever.
The option that you mentioned (another viral infection at the same time as shingles) is possible and more likely than the previous options, especially in your case.

There is no data that Aciclovir can cause fever and chills.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.