Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Herpes Risk of Infection in my situation

User Profile
I have been in a monogamous relationship for a year and a half with a 27 y.o F. I am a 25 y.o. male. We have engaged in unprotected sex no less than 100-200 times. She informed me a couple days ago that she was dx with a HSV2 infection 3 years prior. She had an acute outbreak at the time of infection and was treated with acyclovir. After this, no recurrence for 3 years. Upon asking her Dr. for antivirals, she was denied and the doctor stated that she did not need it because her virus was inactive.

That is all good and well, but the literature I have read deals with people who asymptomatically shed around the time of outbreaks and during prodromal symptoms. I have no idea what to expect in my case.

I have NOT had symptoms and would have had no idea if she did not tell me.

Yes, I will get tested, but in the meantime, could somebody please still my fears and remind me that the chances of transmission are low in my case. Please include some literature, at least your knowledge from it...or am I sure to have it? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2015
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A50893
Thank you for asking at ehealthforum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. A simple 10 days resolving infection with 3 years past history is unlikely to infect you gentleman. You are overwhelming your thoughts with unnecessary evil. Just relax and stay protected. If you are worried of getting it , just use a condom while doing it. It spares the transmission.

I hope it helps. stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and can not be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.

Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.