I am a 24 y.o. female who recently had really rough sex (oral included) with my boyfriend. About a day after sex, I noticed that my labia had been very sore. I thought the pain was from tears,etc because of lack of lubrication. I notice that my labia was very swollen and as the swelling had gone down over the next couple of days, a rather large bump had formed. The bump was still painful and though it never "blistered" like my heel does when I wear new shoes, it ended up forming a yellow "rawness" look to it. In addition to the bump, I was having irritable urination and my glands were swollen/sore in my genital area. I went to the doctor who immediately told me it looked like herpes. She performed a "swab" test which apparently came back positive for herpes. I am questioning now because my boyfriend and I have been completely exclusive and he did not/does not have symptoms. Also, if I get sores inside my mouth and the doctor did a swab test on my genital sore, couldn't it come back positive because I carry the disease versus having some sort of other issue with my vagina?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2013
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Men can remain asymptomatic for longer periods of time even if they have the infection (the symptoms also depend on the strain of the infecting agent and your body’s immune response). Women tend to have severe forms of the illness/infections and have more outbreaks. If you are still worried, you may consider repeating the investigations and serological tests to confirm/rule out infection as well as confirm if infection is recent or chronic. Be in regular follow-up and monitoring with your treating doctor and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.