Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Heroin cause anxiety disorder ?

Is it possible to develop panic attacks and anxiety disorder after being on Heroin for a few years? Friend has detoxed several times unsuccesfully, and once sucessfully clean for a few months on methadone -drug free altogether a couple more months. They never experienced anxiety before taking drug, now back on but planning another meth detox... but panic is very bad followed by severe depression - which they never really experienced and so find hard to cope with - are reluctant to try meds for depression. Is there anything that can help the brain chemistry to re-balance more quickly after this amount of trauma?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 15th, 2009
NO METHADONE, OF COURSE YOU WILL GET ANXIETY, YOU CAN MEDICATIONS THAT ARE NOT ADDICTIVE! Also for us dope fiends we will always find a reason to use...anything!! Just have to deal with the anxiety. COld Turkey detox, it sucks I know, but once through it more likely not to go back. Good Luck
|

replied November 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I've never heard of any link between Heroin use and Anxiety disorder but there's very little formal study on Heroin outside of addiciton recovery. Certainly if you have a propensity for anxiety disorders stress can aggrivate your condition. All drug use puts stress on the brain and detox is extremely stressful for Heroin users, so it's certainly withint the realm of reason. Methadone has its own array of problems in addition to being an aggrivator for anxiety disorders. If he's out of recovery treatment and still having issues have him get in contact with a psychiatrist, evaluate if the Methadone is causing his problems and rework his treatment as needed.
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Psychotherapy sessions like CBT are helpful in combating this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.