Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Herniated belly button

User Profile
Not sure if I've posted this yet (definitely haven't started my own thread), but my daughter has a herniated belly button. IOW, her abdominal wall (muscle) on her belly button did not grow together, and now her intestines are pushing through. It does not seem to bother her at all, but it has gotten a lot bigger since her umbilical stump fell off (I have pictures). It is now protruding a full inch from her abdomen.

She is 8wks old and her last doctor's appointment was when she was 2wks with a doctor that wasn't hers (I was at my mothers). I made an appointment three weeks ago, and the earliest they could get me in is on the 18th. The doctor felt her belly button and said he could only get his pinkie finger through it, which I think knocked something loose, because it's gotten steadily bigger since then.

I was wondering if anyone else had this? and what did they do. My husband's first child had it, but he said it was never that big. He also said they could operate on it when she's 6 months old. Anything to ease my mind until the doctor's appointment?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dazel
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I don't really know much about this situation except that it's fairly common. She should be fine until the surgery at 6 months but I would definitely talk to your doctor at that appointment.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
its not a big deal, it is very very common. just push it back in as often as you can, if you really dont like it put something over it (elastic of pants, onsie, etc. it will go away on its own (there is actualy no medical reason to operate unless it becomes strangulated or painful for some rerason)

myths, do not tape anything to it, elastic pants/shorts,skirts work just as well and dont irritate the skin, she will not nessesarly have an outie belly button (its possible but it isnt guerenteed)it isnt typically dangerous or painful, it doesnt/shouldnt hurt to push it back in
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thank you.

She always has a onsie on and it doesn't hurt at all when I push it in. The only problem is it feels like her intestines are getting harder, if that makes any sense. The best way I can describe it is it almost feels like its getting callused on the inside. I know they used to put a nickel over it and bind it that way (not sure if they used tape or not)
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Experienced User
lilly Jayden's belly button is an "outie" too.. Its not that big but it is bigger and sticks out farther than it did when his stump fell off.. At his 2month appt, the dr did say that it was normal and that it usually happens when the child cries or strains and the abdominal wall is not together which does push the intestines a little.... Jaydens doctor said he seen some as big as a lemon on kids and that his was nothing to worry about unless he seemed to be in pain...I'd say its about 1/2 inch sticking out.. I also dont think it is growing out anymore because it has been the way it is since he was 8 wks and he is now 14wks (3 1/2 months)
|
Users who thank stepbak26 for this post: Lilly Ivy 

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
My doctor said the same thing, he has definitely seen bigger ones.

My doctor (who has the longest and most complicated name I've ever heard!) says they won't do anything to it for at least two years. If it looks as though it is not healing by then, they will intervene. But if it does heal a little by then, and it's not completely healed by the time she's 4, they will intervene then. So chances are, it'll heal on it's own (hopefully).

Also (to my relief) it's apparently not the intestines themselves. It's the fluid and lining around them that come through.
|

replied August 5th, 2008
Herniated belly button
My daughter has a herniated belly button because when she was born the doctor ran her i.v. through her navel. They told me it would go down when she was 1 or 2. She's 7 and it's not going anywhere. I made her an appointment for surgery to fix it because she's becoming embarrassed by it poking through her shirts at school and kids can be cruel. Even though it doesn't cause her any pain I still don't want it effecting her self esteem. If it doesn't change by the time their two I don't think it will go away on its own.
|
Users who thank 2maca for this post: Lilly Ivy 

replied August 25th, 2009
no worries...
I have the EXACT situation. My son is 8 weeks old and his belly button protrudes quite a bit as well. At his 2 week check up my doctor told me they wouldn't do anything until he was a year old and I believe that was only if it bothered him.
I do however remember my younger sister having that as well. I can't remember how long she had it but probably at least until 2 years of age. At that age it became purple and she was in so much pain they had to do surgery in order to fix it. Nothing big, she doesn't even have a scar. Her belly button now looks normal (minus the diameter being a bit bigger than most) and it looks like an inny! Don't worry about it unless it starts to bother her. Smile
|

replied August 30th, 2009
My three year old has one and my 2 month old does also. it is nothing to be concerned with, it is a veryy common thing. and they don't give surgery to 6 month old's. it has until they are about 3 or 4 to close up and even if it doesn't it will reduce in size as time goes on and if it doesn't bother them i wouldn't put them through surgery for no reason. don't be alarmed...
|

replied September 10th, 2009
belly button problem
my baby is 2 months old and just starting having a little pink,raw, skin poking through her belly button--with a little bit of wetness--no pain. I haven't taken her in for it yet--does this sound like a hernia?--it doesn't protrude when she cries--or at all really, just looks like intestines sticking out--
|

replied June 10th, 2011
My daughter has had a herniated belly button since about 3 months old,haven't had any problems with it until about a month ago..now it looks pink and irritated also with some wetness,I am thinking infection but not sure how that could be since it has been closed all this time,no break in the skin,confuses me as to why this started happening all the sudden. So I am taking her to the docs asap.
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Wetness?
I am not sure but I don't THINK it should have any wetness at all. My baby's never does. She is 7 wks old and her's protrudes almost an inch when she cries and it's about a 1/2 inch when she's not crying. So having said that I don't think it is just a herniated belly button in your case. Either way, I would talk to a doctor about it if for nothing else but to ease your mind about it.
|

replied September 18th, 2009
Herniated Belly Button
My little girl just turned on one. She's had a herniated belly button since she was born but it has gone down a bit. It was never raw and never had wetness around it, it just sticks out. I would be concerned if it appeared to be leaking at all. I would at least call the dr. just to ask about it. Both of my sister-in-laws had herniated belly buttons and had surgery when they were five or six so I am blaming my husbands genes for this (ha ha). Since it doesn't seem to bother her and is getting smaller, I am not worrying about it right now... I am busy enough just trying to keep up with her now that she's walking!
|

replied October 4th, 2009
my son is five weeks old i just took him to the doctor yesterday for his herniated belly button i was really concerned that he was in pain but aparently he isn't he doesn't seem to be so thats reasuring i heard about the taping of the coin over it as well but all the research i've done says that it is unnesesary and there is no proof that it will heal any quicker i would just think that it would irritate the skin so i am going to take the advice of the doctor and just keep an eye on it to be sure that it doesn't become hard or discolered and wait it out
it is actually a lot more common than i was aware apparently it occurs in 10 to 20 percent of all babies
also it has never been wet so i would definately take her to the doctor just incase because it does not sound like a hernia to me
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Herniated Belly Button - surgery or no surgery?
My daughter is 2 1/2, she will be turning 3 in July. She has had a herniated belly button since birth. It sticks out an inch to inch 1/2. The DR keeps reassuring me that it will go down, I worry that it's not going to and I'm just postponing the inevitable. Both my husband's mother and my own have been talking/harrassing us about getting the surgery done and I'm just not sure what to do. I do not want my daughter to be ridiculed for this, kids are very cruel and yet, I do not want my daughter to go through an un-needed surgery. UHG!
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Wow it has been awhile since I've been here...

My daughter is now 3 years old (with a 10mo old baby brother) and her belly button really hasn't changed much. It still sticks out (she likes playing with it, lol) but doesn't hurt her at all. I've been debating letting her get surgery on it once she turns 5 (earliest they'll allow it), but I am leaning away from it since it's not hurting her. My son had an IV line through his belly button (a 17-day NICU stay, he was in bad shape) but his belly button isn't herniated at all, it actually looks like a belly button, lol.
|

replied December 7th, 2012
im 18 years of age and experiencing umbilical pains, when i was young i had an huge outlet painful hernia, and now the same pain that used to bother me back then still bothers me as if im 2 months old again...is this normal ?
|