Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia repair area discomfort

Five years ago, I had my second Hernia repair for an inguinal hernia. I'm 36 today. For that surgery, they used mesh. I've always had a very very mild tension/pressure in the repair area (nothing that bothered me). However, these past couple of weeks, the pressure/tension has been a bit stronger. I started working out again after a 3 month layoff from excersize. And that's when this started. I did some leg presses on a leg press machine (similar to a squat). I had used this machine last year with no problem, but now I think it may have aggrevated something. I only pressed about 95 pounds (I weigh 160 pounds), so I didn't think I was over-exerting myself.

My surgeon told me five years ago that I didn't need to avoid any types of excersizes. He said I should be able to do anything I want. He did say that anytime I do something unusual, or something I haven't done for a while, I may have some discomfort. But that was a discussion I had after my repair, five years ago.

Does anyone know how common it is for excersize to aggrevate the scar tissue around the mesh and cause some discomfort from time to time? I'm hoping this goes away because I don't have insurance anymore. I'm going to lay off any excersizes that stress the abdominal area for a while and hope this goes back to normal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2010
The mesh implant is designed so that your body will scar into it, and stabilize it. Unfortunately, scar tissue is not as flexible as normal tissue, and straining the area near the mesh can, indeed, cause traction or pressure on surrounding nerves which, in turn, can cause pain. Also, there is always a small chance of a recurrence of previously-repaired hernias, and so you should be evaluated to rule-out a recurrent hernia as well.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
Dr., thank you for the reply. I don't know if you'll read this thread again, but if the scar tissue has been strained or stressed, is it likely this scar tissue will heal/strengthen and gradually become less irritated over time? (Hopefully allowing my discomfort to disappear?).

Also, would irritated scar tissue/nerves account for a pressure or tugging feeling? Because I wouldn't call my discomfort pain, more of a pressure, pinching sensation.

I don't see any noticeable bulging in the area (as I did with the previous two hernia's). I'm hoping this is just a minor setback and things will return to normal.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
BUMP....
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.