Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia & Bulged scrotum - Inguino-scrotal hernia

Hi i am 30/M,6ft 80kgs

I used to have pain in the lower abdomen on the groin due to my work being a police officer i avoided it taking painkillers often,

Of late i have a bulge on the scrotum which decreases(becomes soft) when i lie down and as i continue my physical activity during the day it bulges and there is pain in the groin(right as well),

The bulge in the scrotum almost becomes to the size of an apple and is quite evident, Now i have sharp pain on the right groin and the scrotal bulge is quite uneasy

Could it be hernia? if so can a laproscopy be done? how long do i have to take rest before joining my duty, since i cant stay away from my work for more than 2 weeks and it involves lot of driving

Please inform any professional help will be very much helpful
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
InspectorofPolice,

Yes, it sounds like you have an inguinal hernia, with a loop of bowel traveling down the inguinal canal and into the scrotum.

You should see a general surgeon as soon as you can. The main risk of a hernia is bowel strangulation. If the bowel becomes entrapped and its blood supply is cut off, it can die. This becomes a surgical emergency. So, you want to have it taken care of before this occurs.

Most inguinal hernia repairs now days can be done with the assistance of the laparoscope. That is something to be determined by the surgeon.

Again, contact your physician for an evaluation. But, it does sound like you have an inguinal hernia.

As to when you can return, that is something you will have to discuss with your surgeon. Most of the time, no heavy lifting (over around 10 pounds) is allowed for six weeks. It takes six weeks for the soft tissues to physiologically heal. You do not want to stress the tissues too early, causing a return of the hernia. Most patients can get back to sedentary type work in a couple of weeks after a laparoscopic hernia repair. But, again, it takes longer for heavy activities.

Discuss everything with your physician and surgeon. Good luck.
|

replied July 5th, 2012
thank you gaelic for your reply,

how do i know if its strangulated ot not? any symptom?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
InspectorofPolice,

Usually the most notable sign/symptom is a significant increase in sharp, intense pain. The patient with a strangulated hernia may also note problems with the GI tract, such as nausea, vomiting, and either diarrhea or constipation. If infection has set in from the segment of bowel dying, then the patient may notice constitutional symptoms, which could include fever, chills, malaise, fatigue, etc.

Also, the loop of bowel which has slipped through the hernia will usually become edematous and swollen. It may also feel more tense and firmer to palpation. It also cannot be reduced, or pushed back into the abdomen.

But, again, usually the patient will seek medical attention because of the pain, which has increased significantly in a short amount of time.

So, you should probably see your primary care physician for an evaluation. He/she can then refer you to the proper surgeon, if it is an inguinal hernia.

Good luck. Wishing you the best.
|

replied September 16th, 2015
"You should see a general surgeon as soon as you can. The main risk of a hernia is bowel strangulation. If the bowel becomes entrapped and its blood supply is cut off, it can die. This becomes a surgical emergency. So, you want to have it taken care of before this occurs. "

This is what just about everyone will tell you and it is typical of 'worst case' info scaring a patient. I have read somewhere that strangulation due to a hernia is one of the most common emergency room surgeries, but we also know that it is rare. Think about it- do you or do you know anyone who has suffered from a strangulated hernia? I don't and I have not met someone who does.

But the poster makes strangulation sound inevitable with time when in fact you would probably die of other causes before you died of your hernia.

I'm not saying that you should not get surgery (that's what a 'repair' is- surgery), all I'm saying is be patient and work out the best plan for you. Believe me, if your intestine become strangulated, you will know it. But you could also get a stroke or a heart attack as well. The risk of diabetes due to obesity or heart attack due to high blood pressure seems greater. But what do I know? I'm just getting off the 'fear of imminent stragulation' wagon.

By the way, I also have an inguinal hernia descended into my testicle sack. I also have a mesh in me that failed after a year. I think I'm going to accept the risk of emergency as I deem it low enough to be acceptable and really weigh all my options before undergoing surgery again.
|
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....