Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia bulge in lower abdomen?

User Profile
I have had a bulge in my lower abdomen for over 3 years now. It comes and goes, but I feel its discomfort constantly. The best I can describe the feeling is as if something is trying to push out from inside my abdomen against my abdominal wall. I have had two exploratory laparoscopic surgeries this year where they found scar tissue and repaired it, yet I still feel the bulge (from the inside). Is it possible that I have a hernia that is hard to detect and the surgeons may have missed it during these surgeries? Also, if it is a hernia, could my dependency on laxatives have caused it - say, from experiencing a hard time pushing?

I would appreciate your help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
Hernia Answer A6842
Certainly, your symptoms sound like a hernia. (There are multiple different types of hernias, and some may be more apparent on physical examination than others.)

Abdominal hernias can result from frequent and chronic straining, although it is impossible to say if this has occurred in your case.

It would be best if you could have a surgeon assess you at a time when you feel that this bulge is present. Also, if it has not already been done, a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis may be helpful.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.