User Profile
Hello,

I recently had an MRI done and this is what the report stated:
"Multiple sequences were obtained through the thoracic spine. There are diffuse, slight degenerative changes throught the thoracic spine which include moderate anterior disc bulges at T8-T9 and T9-T10. No posterior disc protrusion or cord/nerve root impingement is seen. Normal signal is noted within the cord. A small hemangioma is incidentally seen in the T8 vertebral body. No destructive bony lesion is evident."

I know that a hemangioma is a benign tumor but should I look into having it removed? Is it possible for it to turn malignant? Also, are the disc bulges noted indicating that I have 2 herniated discs? If so, is surgery the best option or not? And what's the recovery time?

I had a lumbar lamenectomy in 2002 due to herniated disc in L4-L5 region and am concerned that I have degenerative disc disease possibly.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Kimberly

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2009
Back Pain Answer A6310

Hemangioma is a benign tumor formed of blood or lymph vessels. According to the data you reported, you might want to consult with neurosurgeon if the benefit from removing the hemangioma is bigger then the risk from surgery.
Every benign tumor, including hemangioma has its own potential to become malignant.
The part of the result which says that you have two moderate anterior disc bulges might actually mean that you have two herniated discs. The location (anterior) means that the possibility for putting pressure on nerves is smaller since the nerves leave the spinal cord from the posterior of the spinal column. However, the final evaluation should be made by neurosurgeon based on the pictures from the MRI instead only on the written report.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.