Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Helping schizophrenic brother ?

Well, my brother just called.. i immediately got worried when he started talking without a pause between each word.. and he was sometimes defaulting to french and would talk in english, then talked in french again.
well, he said he wants to speak with nobody except Rafael, Sherray, and Tom (3 people) tonight... then he was talking rubbish for the next minute and said that he wants his car back (cops took it away, or so he thinks..) and his cheques and said "if i see another cop come into my room, im going to kill him." (exact words), then he was shouting at "angie" and "tony" (off the phone) and he started talking in french really fast but i couldnt understand.

he has already ripped up his carpet in his place because he was saying there was crap all over it(my other brother has seen the place) and he was taken to jail by the cops a few nights ago, and he talked his way out the psych ward a week ago.

he is getting worse every night.. and i dont know how to talk him into getting help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Go and talk to him, bring back-up. Convince him that you're worried that he may not be ok where he is and ask if he'll come with you to somewhere that he can get help. Take him to a mental hospital and have in put under observation so he can be evaluated. Call ahead to find out details about the check-in procedure and any costs that might be applicable.
|

replied February 10th, 2010
the thing is, its not that simple. He would jump out of the car travelling at 40 .. he is completely out of this world, going around at 3 AM picking up butts and shouting at cops and talk to his delusional "friends"
|

replied February 11th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Then have the ambulance or the police transport him securely. If he's making death threats against police officers you have to assume he's a threat to others.
|

replied February 11th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
It's quite simple, most of us shouldn't be given a choice whatsoever.

Force him to go to a hospital and take some drugs.

Thats all that needs to happen.

I don't understand why you would give someone in a psychosis a freaking choice, thats like saying to an ape, "come with us monkey, you have a choice".

Why would you do that.

They are probably going to have to wrestle him down or something.
|
Tags: back talk
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....