Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Helping person with schizopherina function better

Hi, my sister has been struggling with schizophrenia for 10 years now and has been on medications ever since. She is now on a few medications (risperidone, apo-benztropine, and fluanxol injections) but we can't notice any improvements in her behavior. If anything, I feel that her conditions are getting worse over time. I don't think we can rely on just the medications anymore so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make her function a litte better and bring her back to reality.

Thank you in advance for your help! 4you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi vish_10,

I have written several posts on schizophrenia here. You can go through them and if what I'm saying makes any sense to you, you can send me a PM. I know that schizophrenia can be cured or at least alleviated by alternative means, depending on its cause and also, how much damage taking medication has already done to the nervous system.

Merrick

Merrick
|
Users who thank Merrick1 for this post: Gwa 

replied March 9th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Yowza! Thats a toughy.

I suppose I have no idea, I tend to know though that the ones that the medication doesn't do anything for can't really be helped can they? I've seen it before, it's awful.

What always seems to make people feel better though is the truth, and becoming something else, and oh yes, let's not forget laughter of course.

And oh yes, I almost forgot, define function or functioning because most peoples definitions of that is so hideously awful and disheartening that it makes you want to just end it all.

So define it for us, please.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
woops wrote:
Yowza! Thats a toughy.

I suppose I have no idea, I tend to know though that the ones that the medication doesn't do anything for can't really be helped can they? I've seen it before, it's awful.

What always seems to make people feel better though is the truth, and becoming something else, and oh yes, let's not forget laughter of course.

And oh yes, I almost forgot, define function or functioning because most peoples definitions of that is so hideously awful and disheartening that it makes you want to just end it all.

So define it for us, please.

Yikez! I was hoping no one would say that and I'm not sure if that made me feel better. Hmm let's see.. Well my sister stopped working 4 years ago and she's been at home ever since. She refuses to do even the simplest tasks and I’m uncertain if she’s really incapable of doing that or just got too lazy. She’s always in her own little world, talking to herself, laughing and so on. She has withdrawn herself from the rest of society. So when I said functioning, I meant that I just want her to get out of her room, do stuff around the house, engage in some activities and become aware of everything around her. In doing so, I believe will divert her attention from her fictitious world to reality.
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
And what makes you think that you aren't in a fictious world "to" or of reality.

I can say from experience that schizophrenics aren't lazy. My family and the entire population pretty much accuses me of this, they don't know though do they, we are being tortured to put it simply, we have very messed up stuff going on with us and it's hopeless and painful. So no, we are not lazy, if you could only hear them. Not to mention the very structures of our brains changing and then our medication stopping certain functions and then of course how we increasingly become physically sicker over time from our meds, and then the dam constant barage of voices with all of their precious knowledge.

don't get me wrong though, I actually was lazy so this could or should I say would be a problem if I didn't have this crazy shtuff happening, My point is you just can't call us lazy and still be sane or smart.

Not only that, there needs to be an entire retooling of what people even consider laziness, your so hard on eachother it's insane. You are all insane, Im not even sure if laziness even exists anymore, perhaps in the most extreme cases but even still im not sure. It probably does, however, most people accuse others of being lazy when they only have liver damage or some other horrible pain or sickness withing in these filthy dying pieces of meaty awfulness.

Retool what you think is lazy.

Wow, if everyone was a somewhat lazy fearful little weakling, man, no one would have the cahones to kill anyone. "we need to make weapons and take over" "nah, let's just go eat and play music"

Unfortunately the ambitious have almost nearly always screwed things up.

I wonder if it even exists, lazy, How I define it is not wanting to do something that doesn't completely suck for you or others and does no good(because I mean, why would you do something that sucks and does no good) when you are not in agony. "oh, your just afraid of a little work." And that's the main point, really, you can't be lazy whatsoever if you are in to much agony. don't get me wrong, there are things that need to be done, but honestly, there isn't that much that needs to be done.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
I'm going to tell you my opinion on that. The plain fact is, to me, that nothing is working so... stop making her take medication. Sometimes schizophrenics just need to take a break on their medication to see if they actually WANT to be schiz. I know, i know, it sounds crazy but believe me, i know 2 people out of the 5 people i know with schizophrenia that LIKE being schiz. I'm one of them
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....