Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

helping depressed friend

can u help me with this
i have a friend, and i think he's depressed, he has panic attacks and even insomnia.
i would like to help me but i dont know what to do.
in his family there has been a uncle who killed himself.
and i'm scared to be with him now, because i dont want my life ruined.
what should i do ?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Your friend does sound like he may have depression. He needs to go see a psychiatrist and get some professional help. Medication can offer him relief from the depression. Seeing a psychologist can offer him someone to talk to and they can teach him coping skills to handle his depression.

You are right to be concerned. Depression can lead to suicide in some people but it does not have to be that way. Many mental disorders are genetic and the disorder will run in the family. Try to encourage your friend to see a doctor. Perhaps he will go if you will go with him. He may just need the support.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You should motivate him for consultation with psychiatrist. Give him hope and always try to keep him relax.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.