Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Help me... i am bulimic... and i want to stop...

I am bulimic, and have been for over 2 years. The reason i became bulimic, led from when i was anorexic, and i was sick of not eating, as i used to exercise excessively, and felt weak. When i started to eat, i was still excessively exercising, till i could not take the pressure any more and started to become bulimic, i know it is bad, but at that time, it seemed the like the easiest thing to do to stay thin... and having kept it a secret till now, i dont know what to do. As i recently revealed this to my partner of 3 over years, who knew nothing about this. he is now angry at me each time i go to the toilet, and threatens to not talk to me or not want me if i were to continue purging what i ate, and he doesnt understand how hard it is for me... and i want to stop it, but i dont know how to, because i am so embarrassed of it... what do i do? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 4th, 2010
Experienced User
hi,
i know it must be hard but if your patener wount suport you is he realy worth it.
it is supringly common for belima to devlop fron anorexia, i best mate did it (and i still havent perswaded her that she has a problem). you have made a good step by asking for help here, what you need to pluck up the curage to do is go and see your docter (i do know how hard it is i need to aswell) they should be able to refer you to specalist serveces. in the meen time try the eating disorder suport websigts and helplines not much if anything will suprise the people on the other end of the line they have herd it all before.
|

replied October 5th, 2010
Perseverence,.....
I totally understand your pain. I pretty much went through the same thing accept a little opposite. When I was 16 I started to become bulimic, I never really thought I had a problem until I could not eat anything without throwing it up. When I was 17years old my now fiance had found out that I have been throwing my food up and he threaten to break up if I would not stop, he hated it. He did not understand either. I finally recovered from bulimia when I was 18 1/2 and never done it again, but I honestly don't know how I did it. I just pretty much forced myself not to throw up it was quiet hard the first few months but it eventually got better, but than a minor problem of anorexia occurred and I got addicted to taking adderal and I would not eat some days and eat a tiny bit others and than a few day I would eat regular and that is the cycle and now I am 23 but I am not diagnosed as anorexic because I am in my range of body weight for my height. But what advice I can give to you about you bulimia is to seek medical help and try so hard to eat without throwing up it will be real tough but it is possible. I can also tell you that bulimia will decay your teeth, mess up your insides, cause infertility, and if you are young and your brain is not fully developed it could effect you IQ and mess with the natural chemicals that help are brain, and worst death.So I hope the best for you and your health Very Happy
|

replied October 11th, 2010
Thank you Brightandsparking and SWEETIE216 for your advices. I have tried not purging the food i eat, but i tend to have major mood swings when i dont, and i get grumpy and angry for no apparent reason because i just dont want the food in me... i know it will mess my insides up, and to get a scare from knowing it does help, but i tend to block it out after awhile...
likewise with you SWEETIE216, my partner hates it, and though i know he tries to be supportive, and he knows that i still do it, but its true that he doesnt understand, because he uses it against me when we have arguments...
I am able to keep food down if i dont over eat, but when i do, i wont keep it down for more than an hour, and i hate the feeling of feeling full...
its nice to know that people do care here... because everyone in my life doesnt know about this problem of mine, in fact only 4 people in my life know, and they arent very understanding about it... i wont tell anyone either, or bring up the issue, because i feel so embarrassed, in fact, disgusted at myself...
would love to get better soon though... i think i've carried this out way too long now... im scared i wont be able to kick this habit if it continues any longer...
|

replied October 12th, 2010
I would take one step at a time. Tell your partner that you're trying to overcome this but it won't happen over night. You need his support to get better. Next I would try and take small steps to get better. Try to purge less every week and start by talking to a therapist. When I tried to get better I went to a doctor first and they made me feel overwhelmed by throwing all this information at me and telling me to go to clinics and I was embarrassed and upset and got worse. So take slow steps and try to get things a little under control and talking to a therapist definitely helps understand where this comes from. Good luck with everything!
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....