Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bile Duct Disorders Forum

Help, I'm confused about my diagnosis

I went to my doctor because I've had gas pains and bloating which are gone.
She ordered a cat scan of my abdomen and pelvis.
The nurse called and said they found a residual stone in my bile duct.
I had my gallbladder out last year and the dr said there were no stones anywhere.
The nurse who called about the stone wants me to have either an MRI or ultrasound to look at the stone better.
But, she said if I'm not having symptoms, they can hold off.
They said it's not blocking anything, and I feel fine.
I made an appt with the surgeon who took my gallbladder out to see what he says.
Can you have these stones and they don't cause symptoms?
How can they take them out?
When I asked the nurse, she said they'd refer me to a general surgeon.
Please let me know what you think.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Residual stone in bile duct are easily manageable. Sometimes supportive care with antispasmodics and fluids it can self resolve and pass on. Otherwise it will need ERCP to get the stone out. Consult your General Surgeon or Gastroenterologist and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bile Duct Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.