Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Heavy bleeding and pain after intercourse

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am about 15 days late for my period, and 3 days ago my and my bf had sex and i bleed quit a bit and had really bad pains, i couldnt even move and felt sick, i was drinkin a lot that night aswell, it stopped tho within an hour, now 2 days after that had sex again and same thing happend but without the pain but no as much blood,also feels like he pushin my stomach inside when we have sex and feel bit sick hurts a little aswell looks like a discharge brown this time and time before it was bright red.I have also noticed a a like big bump/ball shape at the top of my vagina which hasnt bin ther before.I have bin havin sex for the last 6 yr and this as never happend 2 me, please help am really worried and im not with a doctor at the mo thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2009
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A6925

The symptoms you provided (heavy bleeding after intercourse with pain) might be related to the menstrual cycle hormonal fluctuations. Close to the ovulation period, there are certain hormonal changes that cause the cervix to fill with blood more than usual. This condition, in addition to possible increased friction during intercourse, might cause bleeding from the cervix.

The brown discharge might have been coagulated blood.

You might want to visit a gynecologist to check for a hormonal imbalance and have a physical examination. Conditions like endometriosis (a disorder in which tissue similar to the mucosa of the uterus is found outside of the uterus) might also cause bleeding during intercourse. Your gynecologist might detect or rule out the presence of this condition with a physical examination.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.