Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

heartburn? it feels like something is stuck ...

For the last three days it feels like something is stuck in lower middle part of my chest. Burning in throat, sometimes like when i drink water it won't go down, feels like i am choking sometimes, feels like i need to belch but cant. I suffer with anxiety bad, always worried it's my heart. I have test done on my heart about 5 months ago, Dr said my heart was fine but I don't believe him, chest pain is a discomfort all the time, sometimes burning. Hurts worse when I sit down, or lie down, I do smoke, any suggestions what this could be
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2014
Experienced User
Many acid reflux symptoms are similar to those associated with heart problems - which is why it's called heartburn, though if you've had your heart checked, you know it's your acid reflux. (I've had so many ECG's to check my heart - always confirming it's healthy!)

If you are experiencing swallowing problems (achalasia) you must see your doctor. I obviously don't want to alarm you and it could be due to a number of things but the one you want to make sure it isn't is a tumor. (ie the start of esophageal cancer.)

Easier said than done but anxiety makes the condition worse. So if you get your doctor to check it out, it will remove the anxiety of not knowing.

If the stuck food feeling is at the throat, it could be globus: a tightening of the cricopharyngeus muscles which is exacerbated by anxiety.

All the best.
Chris
|

replied November 8th, 2014
As a frequent sufferer of indigestion, I wanted to figure out how to PREVENT more than cure indigestion; Here are some tips that helped me a lot. Avoid over stretching the stomach with anything; solid foods or liquids. The stomach needs to move around, churning up your food. If it is over stretched, there is insufficient room and the food finds its way up the esophagus. If there is actual reflux, spit it out, don't swallow it & rinse your mouth with water.

Do not eat solid foods more than once every 4 hours. Your stomach handles solids & liquids very differently. Liquids begin leaving the stomach in just a few minutes. Solids must be first reduced to liquid (slurry) before leaving the stomach. If more solid food arrives before the stomach completely empties, the stomach outlet slams shut again & begins working on the newly arrived solids. The remaining solids are already loaded with stomach acid when more acid arrives for the new solids. Let the stomach empty completely before ingesting more solid food.

The rest, you probably already know about, smaller meals, take a relaxing walk after eating, sleep with head elevated, etc. Medications (like CNS depressants) that slow down bowel motility (movement) can aggravate the problem as well.

Hope this helps
|

replied December 17th, 2014
Acid reflux is when some of the acid content of the stomach flows up into the esophagus - into the gullet, which moves food down from the mouth. This may cause heartburn and other symptoms.
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...