Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Heartburn, heart, gastroesophageal reflux disease

Hi there,
I am a 44 year old female - never smoked, don't drink much at all, no more than 20 pounds overweight - and for the past few years I have suffered from really bad heartburn. I never knew that it could cause severe problems until about 1 year ago when I started getting it even more frequently - everyday, all day. I never go a single day without getting it multiple times now - and started experiencing off and on severe chest pain. Now I constantly have upper back and chest discomfort and frequent episodes of severe, radiating chest pain. It comes most often when I eat, but is not limited to this, and can last quite a while sometimes. It feels like my food is getting stuck in my esophagus or something and the pain comes in waves and spreads out from my esophagus through to the rest of my chest and my back and throat even. I have had a few episodes of it where I was extremely close to getting my husband to take me to the hospital(I know I should have, but I'm really scared to go) because the pain was so bad. I finally ended up in the urgent care for 4 hours thinking I was having a heart attack or stroke, my face went numb on the right side stabing sharp pain in my right arm that went up into my back i was hot sweating feeling faint and dizzy and even threw up a couple of times. They ran a batter of test EKG blood work x-rays and said my heart was fine no signs of stroke or any kind of infection. Is anyone else experiencing this, or has experienced this? Does anyone know what it could be and how severe it might be? HELP!

Thank you in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2013
Experienced User
You must see a GI doc.

Many of us have experienced the symptoms you describe. Severe acid reflux can have all the symptoms of heart attack, angina or even stroke. I have frequently had EKGs to prove my heart's OK.

But frequent or continuous heartburn and GERD are not normal. The acid and bile attack the lining of the esophagus which undergoes changes to resemble the acid protectant cell structure of the lining of the intestines to protect itself. This is called intestinal metaplasia, commonly known as Barrett's Esophagus and can, in some cases, lead to esophageal cancer.

So I urge you to see a GI doc and have an EGD scope to check no permanent damage has been done to your esophagus. He will prescribe acid reducing medicine and dietary and lifestyle tips to minimize this.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...