Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Heartburn/Acid Reflux, i need to know what to eat.

I have had my gal bladder out in 2009. I also had my ulcers taken care of in 2009. In March 2010 I had 8 inches of my colon removed due to diverticulitis and a kink in that area of my colon. I have had a couple major episodes since then but done relatively well. The last several months however I have heartburn everyday. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat although some things are worse than others.
I feel that I need a strict diet and even know what I should eat and what I should stay away from. I have a hard time with eating right and really tired of taking pepcid, tumes etc....
Will someone give me a "reality check!" Will a doctor step up without charging thousands and tell me how I can help myself?
Tired of this in Texas!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2013
Experienced User
If you are experiencing acid reflux every day, you really should see a doctor and arrange to have a gastroscopy to check for damage to the esophagus.

Acid refluxing can cause erosion as, unlike the stomach, duodenum and intestinal tract, the epithelial lining is not protected against acid.

Over time, the cells can mutate from the normal squamous cells to intestinal metaplasia where the cells mimic those of the intestines in self-defence. This is called Barrett's Esophagus with an increased risk of developing esophageal adenocarcinoma (= cancer).

Tums are an immediate relief antacid neutralizing effects when noticed. Pepcid (famotidine) is an "H2 blocker" which interferes with the signals telling the stomach to produce acid. More effective are the Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) such as omeprazole (Prilosec) that reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces.

The other aspect you'll need to control is reflux. This is managed by lifestyle changes.
Avoid overfilling your stomach by eating small amounts: little and often.
Avoid tight clothing that will squeeze the stomach.
Do not eat for at least 3 hours before going to bed.
Raise the bed head by 6 to 8 inches.
etc.

Controlling the acid and the reflux will make you more comfortable. Then you can experiment to find which foods you tolerate and which are your particular triggers to be avoided.

As new routines become a habit, they will become less of a chore.

All the best
Chris
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2013
Great information robichris, and good advice. He should definitely see a doctor if he is having symptoms on a daily basis.
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...