I am 21 years old and when I was 18, one day out of nowhere I was sitting in the library and my heart just stopped I got light headed and before I felt like I was going to pass out my heart started beating super fast. It was so scary I thought I was having a heart attack. After that my heart would feel like it stopped but then automatically start beating again maybe 3 times in that whole year. I just figured they were heart palpitations. My blood pressure and everything has always been normal. Ever since that incident, these past three years I no longer have felt my heart stop I just feel like a sudden hard pulse and then it will go back to normal. This either happens while I'm doing something or just laying down. It happens every so often. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2019
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your history and description, its likely to be related to anxiety / panic disorder. However, a cardiac cause and in particular arrhythmia and heart block should be ruled out. An EKG should be done as baseline to look for any abnormality. Further management can then be decided accordingly.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.